Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error starting operating system

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ahsan Hameed

Ahsan Hameed

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:08 PM

Hello,
Although i have searched for many sites to find the problem with my pc, but i find bleepingcomputer.com the best site for my problem to be solved, The problem is that i have installed a new 250gb maxtor hard disk and i am currently installing winxp professional in the drive, but the problem is that in the booting phase when all files are copied and computer is restarted, i got an error ERROR FINDING OPERATING SYSTEM, i am not sure what is this and what is the cause behind this... I have installed vista then, although i m a fan of xp and want to install it again but i doesn't install after coping the files and return with the same error.
Can anybody please help me what to do i have Intel 3.0 dual core ht, 1 gb ddr2 ram and my board is intel 945g.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:25 PM

You might take a look at the links at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=i...+XP+after+Vista

FWIW: Generally speaking, it's easier (when doing a dual-boot) to install the oldest O/S first, then the newer. Vista and XP use different boot loaders and I suspect that complicates your efforts.

Louis

#3 Ahsan Hameed

Ahsan Hameed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:35 AM

Thanks for the reply but u haven't understand my problem.
I totally formatted my harddisk and installed winxp on the primary drive c://
in the booting section after running winxp setup, it copies the files to the drive and restarts and comes with an error that ERROR FINDING OPERATING SYSTEM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:28 AM

Run a diagnostic on the hard drive, extended test if a long and short version are offered.

If there are errors during the diagnostic, you can try a low-level format option.

Then try your install again.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#5 Ahsan Hameed

Ahsan Hameed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:30 AM

hmm ... i have a maxtor harddrive, it makes noises like scratching, does this effect later on my pc and windows ?

#6 sonohuey

sonohuey

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:28 PM

Scratching noises are something you do not want to hear from a hard drive. More than likely it is slowly dying.

For the cost of a new hard drive, it would probably be in your interest to install a new hard drive and install the operating system on that new disk.

Good luck.

#7 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:16 PM

Did you format the old HD, you cannot just install over the top of the old Windows.

#8 Ahsan Hameed

Ahsan Hameed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:27 AM

ya roses, i have formated the old windows ... and harddrive ...

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:39 AM

lets get this straight, you have two harddrives? old and new? I would suggest you do what Louis said, the diagnostics.
If the new one is making the noise, go back with it to the shop if you have warranty.

As for the No operating system-error. If you have 2 harddrives (I dont understand that from your posts clearly), be sure your boot order in BIOS boots first from the one on which you are installing the OS.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#10 Ahsan Hameed

Ahsan Hameed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:30 AM

haa !! thanks finaly someone came taking my problem seriously

well i have bought a secondhand harddisk 250gb maxtor, my pc makes noises when retrieving or accessing data i am not sure if it is from harddisk, its like scratching noises...

and that 2nd matter is that i have partitioned and tried to install windows xp, when setup copies the files in the booting session it restarts and says error finding operating system ...

#11 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:36 AM

Well, if you have tried installing XP on that second hand harddisk, my guess would be that it is bad and that is why you have the install problems and why it makes the noises. You should run some harddisk diagnostic tools. Read this tutorial to find good information on harddisk diagnostics.

If everything turns out good, you should be sure you install your OS on the first partition (the one named C, not the second one, this will cause the same problem, because after booting your PC automatically searches particion C for an OS).

Edited by elise025, 05 April 2009 - 09:38 AM.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#12 Ahsan Hameed

Ahsan Hameed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:18 AM

i am currently on vista, she's running fine, i dont know whats the matter with xp, and with the error ...

#13 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:37 AM

Well, then I suggest you do some hard drive diagnostics ASAP. If you have currently Vista installed and working that should be easy and fast. You can also use the Vista checkdisk (sorry, I am on XP, dont know where that is located in vista, but should not be to hard to find).

regards, Elise

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:46 AM

Deleted, misled by mention of Vista when it's irrelevant.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 April 2009 - 11:53 AM.

#15 Ahsan Hameed

Ahsan Hameed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:15 AM

hmm .. i have run the seatools, and my harddrive has passed all the tests mentioned in it ... i think i will have to addict the use of vista and forget xp ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users