Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Real Player

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 missfilippa

missfilippa

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:18 PM

I have not used RealPlayer.
Actually I never even knew it was there. I guess Dell Installed it.
Anyway, I got a bulletin from RealPlayer that I have an older (unsupportable) version of it and,
that I can DOWNLOAD an update to it FOR FREE.

I am naturally suspicious about such offers. Is it adviseable to download the alledgedly free update?? I have the feeling that down the road, I will be hit with fees etc.

Any opinions or experiences one can share with me? Thank you, missfilippa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:08 PM

I am pretty sure that there is a free version of realplayer available, so may be legit.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:13 PM

The latest version of RealPlayer is 10 something. You may wish to completely uninstall the old version and simply download the newest complete.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:51 AM

I detest Real Player as it is an overly intrusive package which gathers usage info about you and reports back to the Real organisation. (hey! don't they call that spyware?)

There is a free player which handles Real media files and doesn't spy on you, called Real Alternative. Give that a try.
http://www.free-codecs.com/Real_Alternative_download.htm

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 missfilippa

missfilippa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:29 PM

rimmer: a fantastic link you gave me: wow!.... unbelieveable what is available as a free download which does NOT spy on you.. thank you...
the real alternative 1.41 is just one of so many possibilities. thank you....
missfilippa :thumbsup:

#6 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 19 June 2005 - 02:49 AM

real player is not allowed on my puter also.

Posted Image
I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users