Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After virus battle, onboard ethernet adapter says hardware not plugged in.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Rycon Payne

Rycon Payne

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

For the past two days I have been battling a trojan that I got, using hijack this, A-sqaured anti-malware, Ad-aware, Spybot, XP Manager, and a different harddrive (that was almost dead) with windows on it.

I've gotten the computer pretty much running good again, but I have two really big problems now:

My ethernet adapter is missing in action. When I go to Device Manager it isn't visible. I have to show hidden items to even see it, and it's greyed out. The error code is "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)." This is impossible, it's onboard. Everything I search on the net says to just plug it back in, I can't do that. Trying to reinstall the drivers does nothing, as the computer sees nothing for the new drivers to work with.

My other problem is even more strange. If I boot into a windows live CD, Ubuntu live CD, Windows Setup CD, Hiren's, UBCD, or even the other install of windows on the other harddrive, my monitor will go into what looks like standby a few minutes into booting into whatever I've booted into. This makes it impossible to troubleshoot outside of the XP Install that was actually infected. See, in that windows install, no standby, ever. I can't even boot into safe mode without standby occuring. After standby happens, I cannot get the monitor to come back on. The only fix is rebooting.

I have reset my bios to defaults, and even taken out the CMOS battery and put it back in. No change.

List of used tools:

HijackThis
RSIT.exe
ATF-Cleaner
ComboFix
klwk
A-squared Anti-malware
Spybot S&D
WinXP Manager (To Supress all auto-runs on next boot)

Tell me what you need, and I'll hand it over. Thank you.

Edit: Apparently I'm a moron and somehow clicked the wrong forum to put this in. Forgive the utter newbie error, and please move this to the correct forum. *facepalm*

Edited by garmanma, 02 April 2009 - 01:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users