Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 8 vs. Firefox

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Ali_bear

Ali_bear

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:59 AM

Hey everyone:

I'm running Windows XP and I'd like to update my browser to the easiest yet most secure application. I'm currently running Internet Explorer, so I'm leaning towards IE8. However, i've heard lots of rumors about IE...that it's not secure, that there are bugs with the new IE8. With firefox, friends have told me that it isn't as easy to navigate but is safer to use than IE.

If anyone out there can tell me the pros and cons with using IE vs. Firefox I'd truly appreciate it. Also, if there's anyone out there that's having serious problems with IE8 and wouldn't suggest, please let me know! I've seen the postings with being unable to access certain websites using IE8 like pogo.com (a site that I love to use!)

Thanks in advance guys :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:29 AM

Which you prefer is really a matter of personal preference. In no particular order, here is a list of reasons to prefer Firefox.
1. It is not a MS product.
2. It is not a part of the Windows Operating System.
3. Security patches and system enhancements are frequent and timely.
4. With the use of add-ons, you can tailor your browser to meet very individual needs.
5. It is not a MS product.
6. It loads (at least for me) pages much faster than IE.
7. It includes a spell-check function for Internet entries ( I am an forum addict).
8. Bookmarks are easy to organise and are automatically backed up.
9. Personal preferences are kept in separate files, so you can reinstall Firefox without loosing them.
10. It is not a MS product.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 gr277

gr277

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:27 AM

Which you prefer is really a matter of personal preference. In no particular order, here is a list of reasons to prefer Firefox.
4. With the use of add-ons, you can tailor your browser to meet very individual needs.
7. It includes a spell-check function for Internet entries ( I am an forum addict).
9. Personal preferences are kept in separate files, so you can reinstall Firefox without loosing them.

Regards,
John

I agree with ALL above reasons......PLUS......It is not a MS product.... :flowers: .. :thumbsup:
Basil
Καλημέρα φίλοι

Posted Image

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:55 AM

Did I mention that Firefox is not a MS product?
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Ali_bear

Ali_bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:06 PM

You guys are loveably insane...

But I love it :thumbsup: I'll be sure to check out firefox more seriously this time. :D

#6 KonamiYoto

KonamiYoto

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:39 PM

I completely agree with John.
It's not a MS Product.

#7 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:13 PM

Internet Explorer uses precaching which is not secure... The program it's self, the code is easily exploitable... Pop up blockers for Firefox are much better then with Internet Explorer... Internet Explorer, is more of a target to hijackers, viri, and spyware... But the best reason Firefox is better... It is not an MS product lol...

#8 Ali_bear

Ali_bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:43 PM

Hey guys:

Just wanted to come back and thank everyone for answering my inquiry regarding IE8 and Firefox.

I researched firefox and decided to download it. It was everything that you guys mentioned in this thread and more! I swear, it's like playing with a new toy. I'm excited about all the add-ons and the way I can customize it to what -I- want...all that and it's safer to browse with! But most of all...

It's NOT a MS PRODUCT!

:thumbsup:

#9 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:34 PM

Well, I installed IE8 this week without a glitch, even though it'll only gets used for Windows updating & a few on-line malware scanning sites. FX 3.0.8 with NoScript and AdBlock+ is my default browser. But my stubborn 60 y.o. brother who visits from Seattle twice a year insists on using IE8 on my pc while he's here, no matter how many times I tell him my FX is safer . :thumbsup: What can I say. He's always know more than everybody else :flowers:

But I'm sure IE8 is a lot safer than the IE6 I had on the machine (never could get IE7 to install/operate for me & had to revert to IE6). So it'll live on my machine until it doesn't work right in some fashion. I do like the Compatibility View feature in IE8 that mimics FX's IE TAB extension.

Edited by buttoni, 05 April 2009 - 08:33 PM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:15 PM

I tell him my FX is safer . :flowers: What can I say. He's always know more than everybody else :trumpet:

Does he know that Firefox is not an MS product? :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 antman84

antman84

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:45 PM

Regards,
John

see # 8

lol i had to, you must have that function turned off.. :D

#12 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:16 AM

No one using google chrome? I was firefox-fan until chrome came up and I love it, its faster than firefox and I havent had any issues with it. Oh, and did I mention it, its not a MS-product, but maybe thats not interesting... LOL

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#13 gr277

gr277

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:42 AM

No one using google chrome? I was firefox-fan until chrome came up and I love it, its faster than firefox and I havent had any issues with it. Oh, and did I mention it, its not a MS-product, but maybe thats not interesting... LOL

Yes, I agree with you about Chrome......The only reason I still use Firefox, is because it is a lot more customisable. Also, I believe that add-ons like "No Script" and "Cookie Safe" give Firefox a clear edge over Chrome, as far as security is concerned.
IMHO Chrome is the fastest browser around..... :thumbsup:
Basil
Καλημέρα φίλοι

Posted Image

#14 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:24 PM

Aside from being Not A Microsoft Product (hereafter. "NaMP,") the NoScript and AdBlock plus addons make for a much more enjoyable, secure, and faster internet experience.

then, of course, there's NaMP, NaMP, and NaMP.

NaMP

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 11 April 2009 - 01:29 PM.

#15 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:26 PM

You can bash MS all you want, but most part of BC covers MS technologies. Any clue why? I am not answering.
Firefox used to be secure in the beginning, but after getting popular it has also become target of hackers/malware authors.

IE 8 is faster than all other broswers : http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009...ome-firefox.ars
Hackers could hack IE 8 beta, Firefox and Safari but not IE8 Final : http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/2009/...ipping_code.php

Edited by Romeo29, 11 April 2009 - 02:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users