Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Card Question?.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:50 AM

I have just reformatted my PC for the first time and have a question regarding my Philips Sonic Edge 5.1 Sound Card. My son did the previous OS install and while checking out the BIOS for this one I realised that he hadn't installed the Philips card properly as he had only switched off the AC'97 onboard modem and left the AC'97 drivers switched on. This explains certain sound problems I had with my previous install when I would intermittently find the Philips card crashing and I would have to reinstall the drivers..
Anyway they are now switched off and the first thing I noticed was that in the ARP list I have three seperate Philips entries as opposed to one before and the OS now sees the Philips Sonic Edge as the default device. Yesterday I noticed that although much louder than previously there was almost no difference in sound when I changed between the pre-set sound setups such as Neutral, Jazz,>Rock etc where there was a lot of difference before. On further investigation in Start>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Sounds I saw that the default device for playback was Philips Wave Device. for Recording it was Philips Sound Agent 2 and for MIDI it was Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth. I then noticed that in the speaker set up section it was set to Stereo Sound instead of 5.1. I changed it to 5.1 clicked apply and OK and opened up the Philips interface and reset it to default. I couldn't hear any difference but after a reboot I did. Now it works properly but what I noticed was that instead of using the Philips Wave Device it now said Philips Sound Agent 2 all the way through.
My question is what is the Philips Wave Device used for and should I alter the default MIDI device from Microsoft GS to the Philips MPU-401 provided on the Sound Card?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:19 AM

I haven't used the Philips card myself, but a write-up of it claims "The Sonic Edge features the new Sound Agent 2 visual user interface for state of the art features and ultimate sound control." (http://www.dealtime.com/xPR-Philips-Sonic-Edge-5-1-PSC605)

In Windows, the Wave Device is the generic driver for playing Windows PCM (.wav) files, which merely provides the function for PCM data to be handled. The Philips Wave Device presumably is the equivalent basic driver supplied to operate the Philips card.

Sound Agent 2 is the "bells & whistles" driver that enables access to the full functionality of the card.

At the moment, MIDI is set to play the Windows Roland GS compatible software wavetable synth sounds. If you select the MPU-401, MIDI will be sent to either an onboard wavetable synth if the card has one, or an external MIDI instrument connected to the MIDI (joystick port) interface.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:32 PM

Thanks for the explanation Platypus.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users