Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway 820GM Memory install help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brews

brews

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:38 AM

Hi, I have been searching for help on this, but I am stumped.

Trying to add 1GB ram to my gateway 820gm desktop. I have the correct memory, recommended by 3 websites 1Gb pc3200 ddr,
but i keep getting a error on startup saying windows didn't load right because of hardware change. I can go into safe mode, check system, and see that the memory is there.(says 2GB, started with 1GB). I can also reboot, bring up BIOS and it shows the memory there. slot 1 - 512, slot 2 - 1GB (new), slot 3 - 512. hit F10 to leave BIOS and continue bootup and bam, windows can't load because of hardware error. I have the options to run windows normally, use last good config, or the different safe modes. i can only go to safe mode. I have also tried the memory in different slots.
any ideas? thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:27 AM

When youu install/remove memory you are unplugging the computer before you do it ?

Since you had 1GB & Windows would start try it with just the 1GB stick by itself.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 brews

brews
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

When youu install/remove memory you are unplugging the computer before you do it ?

Since you had 1GB & Windows would start try it with just the 1GB stick by itself.

Yes, I have had desktop unplugged everytime i have changed cards.

I tried having just the new 1gb card in the first slot and thats it and windows would not come up at all. My screen just stayed black.

right now I do not have the new 1gb card in the desktop is fine.

If windows trys to start with the original 1gb, how do i get it to recognize the new memory and start with it along with the original 1gb?

thanks

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:30 AM

Where did you get the 1GB ?
Count the total number of chips on the stick,
how many are there?

If the new stick has a label or sticker on it what is on it ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 brews

brews
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:50 AM

Where did you get the 1GB ?
Count the total number of chips on the stick,
how many are there?

If the new stick has a label or sticker on it what is on it ?

Thank you for the reply.

After checking three sites online that said what I needed I got the chip from a dealer off ebay. He had a good ratings.

One side of stick has 8 chips and the other side has 8 chips plus one tiny chip. sticker says 1GB PC-3200

update: I have updated the BIOS. Original BIOS was 2004, new is from 2006. But, the readme doesn't mention anything related to memory. I have not been able to try installing memory again.

Edited by brews, 02 April 2009 - 05:06 PM.

#6 brews

brews
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:19 AM

thanks to all who have viewed this.

I think my problem is that i need to install in pairs. I was adding one new card. Will look into further.

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:47 AM

In case you check back, Gateway lists 2gigs max memory, memory sites list 4gig max. Assuming 4 slots, a 512meg stick is max for that motherboard according to Gateway. Somebody is wrong.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:52 AM

I doubt you are going to get the memory to work.

The "bargain" memory sticks that are sold on ebay are "high density" memory.
They are made using odd chip configurations.
Only motherboards with certain chipsets will recognize the memory.
If a motherboard has the right chipset the memory does work but their are a very limited number of chipsets that will recognize high density memory.

#9 brews

brews
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:56 AM

In case you check back, Gateway lists 2gigs max memory, memory sites list 4gig max. Assuming 4 slots, a 512meg stick is max for that motherboard according to Gateway. Somebody is wrong.

thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users