Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dial up connection on a broadband enabled line ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 whiz

whiz

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:22 PM

HI All,

Im trying to connect a dial up enabled PC on the same line that I use for my broadband connection. Although the connection seems to dial OK I get an 'unable to establish a connection'' error every time I try to connect. I have not removed any ADSL filters.I have spoken to the ISP and we have set the account up manually. It is dialling the correct number and it did allow me to connect when I was setting up the account.
Is it possible to connect 'dial up' to a broadband line ?

Im using Windows NT4 SP6

This PC has been on line in the past but purely on a dial up line.
Thanks in advance
Ignorance is the enemy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:56 PM

I am assuming your broadband line is a dsl line? Is this an adsl line running over your normal telephone line?

#3 whiz

whiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:47 AM

Hi Grinler

Yes the line is ADSL. It is currently used for my 516kbps broadband access and has a fax connected too. I unplugged the fax, connected the modem and tried to connect to the dial up account that is installed on an older PC. The reasons Im trying to access the net from this second older PC are as follows
The PC is slow to boot and run, I downloaded adaware and spybot on my newer PC and loaded them onto the older PC via floppy disc. Adaware ran and removed around 200 objects. Spybot wouldnt run without an update so I want to access the net to update spybot and adaware and allow them to find some more malware.
Hope this helps

Edited by whiz, 16 June 2005 - 01:49 AM.

Ignorance is the enemy

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:51 PM

It should work fine using an adsl enabled pots line. WHy not just hook that older computer up to the broadband and use that connection to get access?

Are they networked together with a dsl router, or is the dsl modem plugged directly into the newer computer?

#5 whiz

whiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:06 AM

Hi Grinler,

Unfortunately the older PC is running NT4 and my ISP doesnt support it :thumbsup:

I'll have a play with the settings a bit today and see what I can achieve.
Thanks
Ignorance is the enemy

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:35 AM

Well you can get a cheap broadband router, hook the dsl to that, and then both computers using a network card or wireless should be able to share that same broadband connection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users