Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

whats better ?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:18 AM

whats better ? lcd or plasma

this is tv i talking about
for watching tv and playing wii some times
mabye connecting the computer up to it once a year lol

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:46 AM

depends. for image quality? plasma. for the pocketbook? thats a totally different story. . .

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:56 AM

so plasma has better image quality
well i heard plasmas break down easy because of things that stay still on the screen and burn in lol

whats the cons and pros of lcd and plasma

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:23 AM

Each has its strengths and weaknesses. I work with six other technicians in a consumer electronics repair workshop. My observations led me to settle on LCD for my TV, but not without some consideration and observation of similar products before settling on a slightly unusual choice based mainly on perceived image quality.

Reliability: Plasma has proven to be less reliable than we would like. Overall, LCD is less trouble-prone, as might perhaps be expected from generally good service life of LCD laptop screens and monitors. Generic faults that can affect either type tend to be magnified in plasmas as they have higher power consumption and higher operating temperatures than comparable LCDs. We've certainly seen screen burn on plasmas. Recent screens are less susceptible than earlier generations, and it would require serious periods of static screen images to cause permanent burn-in. LCDs can experience some image retention, but unless a screen is actually faulty, it is temporary. Both can experience pixel faults such as bright or dead pixels. LCDs can also experience pixel bleed (permanent black patches where the liquid crystal bursts from the cells), and various types of mura, which is an optical aberration such as discoloration of the light guide behind the panel. But overall these are rare. Neither panel is as resistant to impact as a CRT, and can be smashed by a flying Wiimote.

Power consumption: Plasma for a given screen size has noticeably higher power draw than LCD. This will be more significant with the rise of LED backlighting, which is more efficient than CCFL (Cold Cathode Flourescent Lamps). Heavier power consumption of course hits the pocket in power bills, and also means the TV runs hotter, heating the room and not helping with reliability of the electronic components. Some units are cooled with internal fans, and this can annoy some people because you can hear them during quiet viewing.

Screen size: Plasma has traditionally exceeded LCD in the maximum screen size available. If you must have the largest you can get, then it will probably have to be plasma. Don't get a screen that is too large for the room size. If your eyes can resolve individual pixels from the normal viewing position, the picture will look bad.

Motion blur: Pixel transition time has been an achilles heel of LCD, with plasma and CRT technology having a shorter persistence characteristic. Long persistence leads to a blurry trail behind the path of fast moving objects, and is one reason to consider plasma if you watch things like sport and action movies. LCD has improved considerably in this regard and current generation screens can cope well with fast movement. But it's still one reason we advise people to see the screen they are considering in action displaying fast-moving material, unless they are unconcerned about this aspect of its appearance.

Image "quality": This is a general term - personally I find a good quality LCD screen more pleasing than a similar quality plasma. One thing to look out for is called "clay face", and its name describes the effect - faces in particular look artificial, as if sculpted from wet clay. More recent designs have been less prone to it, and its complete absence was one factor in my own choice. Keep in mind that the perceived quality of an image can be affected by various processing options offered by most sets, and the settings for sharpness and other types of dynamic processing will alter how "good" the picture looks. The maximum resolution of the screen will also affect the amount of detail that can be presented, with a 1080p (progressive scan) rated unit required for full high definition. Of course this affects the price accordingly.

Brightness: An LCD generally gives a brighter picture than plasma, and will cope better with brightly lit rooms, sunlight etc. This is one reason an LCD is often recommended for general duties as a replacement for a CRT TV. The reverse is true for low levels of illumination and low brightness images. LCD suffers some light bleed through "black" (ie turned off) pixels, whereas a plasma pixel turned off to give black produces no light at all. So the plasma looks much better in low-light situation like home theatre, and when displaying low-brightness images like dark movie scenes. For this reason, plasma is the standard recourse for home theater, or if folk use TV mostly for the movie channel or DVDs. LCD has made considerable improvements here too, and pixel-based modulated LED backlighting may close this chink in LCD's armor too, but at a price.

The future: For a while there have been indicators plasma may be on the wane. Some strong supporters of the technology have backed away - AUO (an original innovator of the TV technology) ceased plasma panel production some time ago, Pioneer intends to leave the TV market within 12 months, and there is speculation LG may also intend to cease use of plasma panels for its TVs. High power consumption technologies are expected to face increasing pressure to reduce energy consumption, especially in Europe.

In the end, the choice must be made by the user. You'll be watching the screen hopefully for many years, it's you who needs to be happy with what you've chosen.

If people ask us at work, we advise people to see several prospective sets operating with the type of material you watch, and as close as possible to the viewing environment the set will be used in. Due to the high possible repair costs (particularly for plasma) outside of warranty, a long warranty period is a consideration. For this type of product, purchasing an extended warranty can also be worthwhile, but check exclusions - the panel itself (the highest cost item that you would really be glad of cover for) may be excluded, or certain types of panel failure not covered.

Again, in general, for taking over the duties of a household CRT TV, probably running for long hours with some movie/DVD viewing, consider LCD. For more serious movie watchers, home theatre etc, look to plasma. For Wii/computer, try some and see which you prefer.

Edited by Platypus, 02 April 2009 - 06:31 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:08 AM

lol told my every thing in one post
thanks for the help Platypus

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,959 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:37 AM

You're welcome.

#7 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:58 PM

*reads wall of text*

:thumbsup: .....wow......will refer to this later on in the future if someone would ask me about something like this (not that anyone would...but just in case :flowers:).

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#8 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

Plasma

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:45 PM

Amazing post Platypus! :thumbsup:

reason for edit: It was so good you deserved a Smiley and it's been so long I forgot the code.

Edited by BlackSpyder, 02 April 2009 - 08:53 PM.

Posted Image

#10 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:02 PM

Platypus, that is probably the most complete and accurate comparison between Plasma and LCD I have ever read. I do have one thing to add though :thumbsup:

Unless I missed it, you did not make mention of the reflectivity a plasma screen. In a brightly lit room, reflections from the screen can be bothersome. LCD screens have historically been a bit more 'matte' finish, but you need to be careful as some of the are going glossy too.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#11 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:36 PM

Each has its strengths and weaknesses. I work with six other technicians in a consumer electronics repair workshop. My observations led me to settle on LCD for my TV, ...

I'm curious - what make/model did you purchase?

One of the "S"s - Samsung, Sharp, Sony - or something else?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,959 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:31 AM

Unless I missed it, you did not make mention of the reflectivity a plasma screen. In a brightly lit room, reflections from the screen can be bothersome. LCD screens have historically been a bit more 'matte' finish, but you need to be careful as some of the are going glossy too.

True, I didn't cover that aspect when I mentioned the brightness of LCD coping better with bright rooms and sunlight. Thanks for adding it in. The glossy LCD panels definitely get scored down in my view for annoying reflections. My newer laptop has a glossy screen and I get reflections from lights and windows.

Another thing I thought of later that I could have added in the quality comments is the color gamut being typically wider and more accurate for plasma. But this is improved in LCD with LED backlighting.

Edited by Platypus, 03 April 2009 - 06:33 AM.

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,959 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:45 AM

I'm curious - what make/model did you purchase?

One of the "S"s - Samsung, Sharp, Sony - or something else?

No, not an "S", I got a BenQ VA321
Posted Image

Analog tuner only, which was fine as I already had a digital set-top box. HD is only 720p, which is fine for a 32"screen, 1080 was overkill and much higher price 2 years ago.

I've been pleased with it, very natural image color and softer styling than the angular all shiny black designs that most others followed at the time.

#14 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:34 PM

I've got an older Sony 32" 720p HD LCD and I agree,

at that size, 720p is fine.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#15 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:58 PM

My parents got a 40" LCD 1080p TV with a digital tuner. They love it, and so do I. And Platypus' post confirmed why LCD is better for video games: less chance of burn-in when I pause the game. My parents didn't get a plasma because of higher repair costs, and in this economy, that's crucial.

I myself will probably get an LCD TV when I get my own place. Based on my personal experience with my parents HDTV, and my computer moniter, I like LCD better. But, as stated before, its up to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users