Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what does http://www.yahoo.com/?fr=fptb-hptb6 mean?/ Moved

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rmatthews

rmatthews

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:32 PM

Now when I go to yahoo home page, the address comes up <hxxp://www.yahoo.com/?fr=fptb-hptb6> .... is that normal? Some sinister re-direct? or trojan.... thanks in advance... (A search of the internet brings up that page as a bad website. Don't know what happened) Malwarebytes scan showed no items of concern.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 11 February 2013 - 04:47 AM.
Deactivate link. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:56 PM

Hello rmatthews and welcome to BC :thumbsup:

Oh, dear. I see that earlier you posted a HiJack This log outside of the HiJack This forum. Now you have posted a topic in the HiJack This forum but without the log.

Here's what I'm going to do to try to make things as easy for you as possible. I'm going to go ahead and close the topic in the MisPlaced Log forum. then as no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS unless a log is specifically requested.

I see from your log that you have Windows Vista SP1 and that you use some sort of Symantec or Norton security product. Can you please identify which one you use?

Also, are you experiencing other issues besides the redirection? If so, please describe. Also, to protect our readers, please do not post live links to suspicious sites.

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 rmatthews

rmatthews
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:08 PM

Not sure but have standard Norton Antivirus. Not sure I even have a problem, other than the ?fr=fptb-hptb6 appearing at the end of the yahoo address. When I searched the complete address, it was blocked as a dangrerous site. don't know what is going on.... Downlaoded the new IE8 for awhile but it was disabling phising protection from Norton so went back to IE7..... maybe something happened then....thanks

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:33 PM

I typed both <hxxp://www.yahoo.com/?fr=fptb-hptb6> and <hxxp://www.yahoo.com> into my address bar and both take me to Yahoo's home page

Try running this application:

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Edited by Orange Blossom, 11 February 2013 - 04:48 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 rmatthews

rmatthews
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:26 PM

Thanks Mark....... paece of mind at last.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users