Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with new DIR-615 router

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry2037

Jerry2037

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:24 PM

My 5 year old USR8054 went bye-bye. I replaced it with a DLink DIR-615 from the local Office Depot. No problems with the set up program except that I've lost a lot of functioality I used to have with the USR.
I'm on a home network.
I have:
Desktop 1 Vista (wired)
Desktop 2 XP Pro MCE (wired)
Notebook 1 XP Pro MCE (wireless)
Notebook 2 XP Home (wireless)
1 Palm TX (wireless)
I used to do file and printer sharing between the first three, browsing and downloads only, with the XP Home and TX.
Now I can get from the first three to the internet but can only do file and printer sharing between Desktop 1 and Notebook 1. Go figure, you'd think the XP would work before the Vista did. I can see the router with Notebook 2 but it won't connect. I can't even see the router with the Palm.
Turned off security on the router but problems persist.
D Link website recognizes this type of problem and suggests it is a firewall issue and implies it's a software firewall issue but not how to fix it.
I have Norton 360 on the XP machines. Norton furnished by HP on the Vista. I just expired and I'm going to replace it with McAfee that I get free from Comcast.
I know I probably have to go back and re-do everything but I don't know, or can't remember. how to delete the existing network so I can start over. OOPs, I'm out of lines!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chyrl

chyrl

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:38 AM

Have you tried use PING.exe in your Win PCs.

If the ping returns General Failure, there's a problem in your network setup.
When it returns a reply, recheck the manual, because it's either the router has enabled it's firewall directing to an ISP Homepage.

I'll try to search further about your question.

#3 Jerry2037

Jerry2037
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:47 PM

Problem solved. Thanks for the tip on pinging. Pretty simple but I forgot about it.
The DIR-615 setup instructions appear to offer the choice of NO MAC ADDRESS checking. After talking the D Link level 2 tech he told me to turn it on and enter MAC addresses of devices on network. The DIR advanced setup will discover the address of any devices it sees but you must then manually add them to the allowed list (one button click). I then built a table showing who could talk to who and concluded the two XP Pro machines with Norton could talk but couldn't listen so they also needed MAC or IP addresses of allowed devices set in the Norton firewall. The McAfee either doesn't care or figures it out and sets itself up automatically. The Palm TX MAC address is on the label on the back of the case.
I'm gonna run a couple of days without security to make sure everything's stable and then turn on the WPA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users