Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

large text that doesn't fit into windows

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 atarski

atarski

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:02 PM

We lost electricity this morning and when my computer came back up all the windows were huge. I went to control panel>display>settings and changed my DPI. This made the windows smaller but the text is still large -- doesn't fit in the text boxes. I went to control panel>display>appearance>advanced and the font there is greyed out and won't let me select it. Any ideas of how to make the text fit in the boxes?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:56 PM

Have you tried rebooting?

Sometimes weird problems resolve themselves after you completely shut down and restart

#3 StickDude101

StickDude101

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:04 PM

Right CLick on your Desktop, Select Properties,Appearance Tab, then put your font to Normal, if its on extra large or large :thumbsup:

~StickDude101

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,806 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:56 PM

It's possible that the power outage damaged some files.

Please read this guide: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/ to see how to use SFC.EXE to repair system files.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:23 AM

Try holding down the Ctrl key while slowly turning the wheel on your mouse.

#6 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:56 AM

The first thing I would try would be run System Restore. If that doesn't fix the problems it is probably because of damaged hardware--your video card or motherboard. If you have onboard video then it may be a bad motherboard. It's common for capacitors to rupture when power goes out like that--and a few years ago there was a large batch of caps that were bad.

You might open your case and check the capacitors. If you don't know what they look like, there are some photos in this Wikipedia article--altho they show side view when most will be standing on end.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolytic_capacitor

If you see any caps that are obviously busted or have a little mound on top (instead of being flat and shiny) then you've got bad caps and will probably have to replace the motherboard. If you look real hard you might find a place that will replace just the caps, but most computer repair shops won't bother.

I hope I'm wrong about this, but if it is damaged hardware, you should consider investing in a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) system so it doesn't happen again.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users