Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC wont power up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 big1rab

big1rab

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:37 AM

:thumbsup: Hi, My Tiny pc wont power up,there is power getting to the pc because the power light lights and thats it .........it wont go in to bios or do anything...any help much appreciated.............

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:52 AM

OK, first things first...

When you hit power on does the fan for the power supply spin on or stay silent? Ist that power light you mentioned always on (basically signifying that there is power getting to the PC) or comes on when you push the button then off when it's powered off?

Have you added hardware (drives, cards, etc.) to the PC lately? How old is the system in general?

When was the last time it worked normally; was there anything at that time or just before which could be a clue as to why it now suddenly won't start?

#3 big1rab

big1rab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:19 PM

no the fans dont spin ...yes it stays silent...the power light comes one when you press the power on button but it wont power off....nothing added to system....approx 18 months old......unplugged the pc as i was decorating the room it was in :thumbsup: ...it was working perfectly with no problems ....plugged back in and nothing

#4 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:48 AM

Dear Big,

Do you hear any beeps?

Plugging a computer in could cause a surge that might hurt something.

A rare chance. If you do not hear any fans starting up or beeps, it could be your power supply has failed.

If you are not computer savvy, I would take it in to a computer shop. Let them tell you the problem though.

Just say your computer does not work anymore and let them tell you whats wrong.

Sounds, at this point, like your power supply is faulty. It could also be a loose connection.

If you wish to take on the problem yourself, we will be happy to walk you through it.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:49 AM

Some power supplies have an additional on/off switch at the back near where the power cord plugs in. Have you checked that?

If that's not the problem, or not there, I think you need to unplug, take off the case cover and disconnect all drives except the floppy. Then replug and switch on. you should get a message saying 'Boot sector not found please insert floppy disc" or similar. Then you repeat the process reconnecting drives one by one until the problem is found.

hth :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 16 June 2005 - 12:50 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 big1rab

big1rab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:04 AM

i have tried all the above and still nothing,unplugged the cd drive hdd tried to power up it doesnt post ..no beeps ....I think it might be dead :thumbsup:

ps.. i now have no power light so i think it might be the power suppy!!!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<thanks for all the help folks>>>>>>>>>

Edited by big1rab, 16 June 2005 - 06:07 AM.

#7 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 01:07 AM

Dear Big,

Yeah, it sounds like your PS took a dive.

I would recommend a Antec but my 550 had over voltage problem. I will get the unit back tomorrow and will let you know.

Power Supply's have been going bad a lot lately. A trend needs to be started.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#8 big1rab

big1rab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:44 AM

yep...as you all said ...took out the power supply took it to repair shop they tested it in front of me it was '@@@@@@' and guess what its so small they dont have one to fit the box :thumbsup:

ps it was only a 180w psu

Edited by big1rab, 17 June 2005 - 08:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users