Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet gateway Router

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sci0n

sci0n

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:50 PM

Hello guys I have a question regarding packets. I am pretty computer illiterate when it comes to routers and modems and the statistics numbers behind how they work. I currently have 2 computers and a PS3 setup to my router. In the internet connections tab my router and gateway statistics show that my modem has been running for 19 days speed is 10.0 Mbps, and the packets sent are 16,844,112 and received is 66,017,332 is that good or bad? and can all that received data effect my internet connection? I am currently using Comcast as my ISP. I am not experiencing any lag but last night the modem reset and I was wondering if the data was the reason why?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Carpetsmoker

Carpetsmoker

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:08 PM

You can view a packet as a measurement of internet traffic, like a Megabyte.[1]
There is no fixed packet size, it depends on system settings, the hardware, and type of connection.

Should you be worried?
No.
The router is simply showing a basic networking statistic.

1: I know this is not completly technical correct, but good enough IMO

Edited by Carpetsmoker, 01 April 2009 - 07:08 PM.

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.

#3 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:12 PM

Carpetsmopker - Though you are right about the fact that sci0n shouldn't be worried... Though packet size is fixed... The MTU settings determines the max packet size, though yes it is still variable between packets... The typical MTU setting is 1500, meaning 1,500 bytes, or roughly 1.46 Kb(could be seen as 1.5Kb, except 1.5 would technically be incorrect, for 1 Kb is 1024 bytes)... Though yes you can change the MTU packet size on a computer, it is typically unchangeable on routers, switches, and modems(or at least consumer products)...

#4 Carpetsmoker

Carpetsmoker

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:30 AM

You're right, MTU is the maximum size, in an epic calculating fail yesterday late night I figured a MTU of 1500 was about 15KB -- With this size a lot of packets won't reach this size and thus the size is variable...
With 1.5KB, the size is not so variable ...
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.

#5 sci0n

sci0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users