Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer would not get to desktop/ Moved

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ofgjuner

ofgjuner

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:42 PM

Hi, I am having a probem with my daughter's computer not getting to the desktop; it boot up then after typing in paasword it goes to the welcome screen then the dark screen with the cursor in the middle and that is as far as it goes. She had tried to install and run the malwarebytes scanner before and that would not work; I downloaded the Combofix on my other computer but wanted your opinion on this matter. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,960 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:57 PM

Hello ofgjuner,

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS unless a log is specifically requested.

I downloaded the Combofix

Please note: ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert." It is NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Running ComboFix by yourself is like performing open heart surgery on yourself--the scalpel and other surgical tools that is ComboFix is meant to be wielded by a highly trained surgeon only in emergencies or dire circumstances. When the surgeon is thru s/he leaves the room. So combofix should be removed from a system once it has accomplished its job, unlike an AV that is there to protect you from future infections.

. . . CF does make some alterations to your system if you run it. Even if you had no malware removed and run the uninstall command, some things may be different now on your system. I can tell you that one thing is that all your restore points will be flushed out and a new one created. There is a good reason to do that when you have a severe infection--but if you aren't infected you might need those restore points.

Read and abide by the disclaimer people. It's there for a reason. Stick to running and protecting yourself with a good AV and firewall and an anti-malware scanner or two. If you feel you need a second opinion, try running online scans. If you feel you might need surgery, come here to BC and ask for help--that is what we're here for.

From: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1159014

That said, we need some additional information:

What is your operating system: Windows XP, Vista, etc.?

What security programs are installed? Please name them.

Has the computer in question been exhibiting other issues other than the boot-up problem?

Are you able to get into safe mode?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:55 PM

Does the cursor move?
If so, open Task Manager. On the applications tab, and end all processes. Start a new task and type explorer.exe and click OK
You should now be on the Desktop, where you can download Mbam

------------------------------

The process of cleaning your computer may require you to temporarily disable some security programs. If you are using SpyBot Search and Destroy, please refer to Note 2 at the bottom of this page.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note:
-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Note 2:
-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes. To disable these programs, please view this topic: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 ofgjuner

ofgjuner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:02 PM

Operating system installed; windows xp home(Emachines); AOL intivirus; will get to the desktop but take forever and safe mode is the same about 2 hours and would not respond to any clicks.

#5 ofgjuner

ofgjuner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:08 PM

Hi, First I wanted to correct the operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium; my mistake. I can get to the desktop after about 2 hours of waiting; the cursor moves but I cannot even get to correct the time and date which is of by about 4 hours; Any thing I click on dont work and cannot even get online to download nothing. Any other suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,960 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:49 PM

Do you have access to another machine and do you have a disk or flash drive you could use to download programs onto?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 ofgjuner

ofgjuner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:20 PM

I have 2 more computers here at home and I have 2 flash drives. thanks for your reply.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:05 PM

She had tried to install and run the malwarebytes scanner before and that would not work

If mbam is still on the computer and just not working, try this:

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.

You can also burn a Dr Web Live CD:
http://www.freedrweb.com/livecd
Change the boot order on the infected computer and boot with Dr Web

Edited by garmanma, 02 April 2009 - 08:09 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#9 ofgjuner

ofgjuner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:58 AM

Hi, I downloaded Dr. Web live CD on my other computer and ran it on the troubled computer; ran it and restarted after and still cannot get no positive results; now I get to the desktop with a black screen and the only icon there is the recycle bin and the start tab, but click on them and nothing happen, I had to shut down using the power button. thanks

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:53 PM

Can you now open Task Manager?

If so, open Task Manager, by right-clicking on the taskbar or the good old three finger salute, Ctrl-Alt-Delete. Click on the Applications tab, and end all processes. Start a new task and type explorer.exe and click OK
You should now be on the Desktop, where you can update and run Mbam
Mark
Posted Image

#11 ofgjuner

ofgjuner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:45 PM

Hi, I opened task manager and click on the Applications Tab and that came up blank; below said there are 28 processes running but could not get to them. I downloaded malwarebytes on my other computer on a CD and on a Flash Drive but coul not do anything because everything that I click a mesage box shows that Windows Explorer is not responding even in safe mode. I did get back my desktop but I cannot even go online because windows explorer is not responding. It takes forever to get to the desktop. thanks

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:37 PM

I opened task manager and click on the Applications Tab and that came up blank

OK, it's blank. Can you start a new task and type explorer.exe and click OK?
Mark
Posted Image

#13 ofgjuner

ofgjuner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:54 PM

I started a new task and typed explorer.exe and click OK and nothing happened; rebooted and I can get to the desktop but from there anything I click on, it say windows explorer is not responding.

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:37 PM

I started a new task and typed explorer.exe and click OK and nothing happened; rebooted and I can get to the desktop but from there anything I click on, it say windows explorer is not responding.

And there is no way you can get to safe mode either? I'm going to have to look around a bit and see what I can find
Anything I'm going to suggest involves Running something, If that can't be done, then it's time to reformat/reinstall
Mark
Posted Image

#15 ofgjuner

ofgjuner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for all the help; I had to reformat/reinstall to get back to normal again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users