Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG Free Help

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 rlight

rlight

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:06 PM

I am currently using AVG Free edition on my computer. First, how do I find out what version of AVG I have? I've looked in the Control Center but I don't see any information. Do I need to upgrade it. Also, is it o'k to have more than one anti-virus program on my computer and if it is o'k to have more than one av program, would Avira be a good choice.

thanks
rlight

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

I don't use AVG so I cannot tell you how to find out what version you have but I can tell you that running two antivirus programs is a bad idea. You should never run more than one antivirus program otherwise you will have problems with them and everything else

#3 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:22 PM

err....how (if at all) have you been updating it ?

Do you have in your System Tray a small coloured icon?

When you right mouse click on it the Control Centre should open up

Down in the right hand corner you shoudl see a small line of boxes with numbers in them? that will tell you wish version and what program version you are on

See if you can come back to us with that information first? Plus your OS please :thumbsup:

#4 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:49 PM

Actually, you can easily tell without even looking at the control panel. AVG 7.5 used a patchwork square icon on your tray and desktop that has a black square in it. AVG version 8 and beyond has no black square contained in the icon -- the square is now blue.

But, as snowdrop told you, in your control panel, you should see the version listed.

#5 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for the help. I think I must have been asleep at the wheel, because the information was right in front of my face. I have AVG 7.5. I have read some of BC's forums that says AVG 7.5 will no longer be supported by AVG Technologies. Is this true? If it is, what would you recommend for an anti virus program?

rlight

Edited by rlight, 01 April 2009 - 08:14 PM.

#6 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:39 PM

You can update AVG to version 8 (it's pushing to 8.5 now) or you can view the pinned topic for resources here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Choices are yours. There are many great free antivirus programs out there. Just make sure if you do go with something other than AVG, that you completely remove it before you activate another antivirus program. Never have two AV programs running at the same time (as they conflict with each other).

Edited by txtchr, 01 April 2009 - 08:43 PM.

#7 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:23 AM

Personally I would suggest using Avast... I have been Virus free for nearly 6 years cause of it..

#8 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for the help. I think I must have been asleep at the wheel, because the information was right in front of my face. I have AVG 7.5. I have read some of BC's forums that says AVG 7.5 will no longer be supported by AVG Technologies. Is this true? If it is, what would you recommend for an anti virus program?

rlight

I beleive this issue is still under debate :flowers:

And depends on your OS as to what AV program you CAN run as not all are compatible with all OS's :thumbsup:

#9 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for all the input. I just received a notice yesterday from AVG stating that the program must be updated by Apr. 12th. After that there won't be any support for 7.5.

So, I will need to make a decision by then. What do you think of Avira?

rlight

Edited by rlight, 03 April 2009 - 09:20 AM.

#10 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:23 AM

just received a notice yesterday from AVG stating that the program must be updated by Apr. 12th

are they expecting you to wait until April 12 to do an update ; that seems a long time to NOT update the program doesnt it and run with OUT- dated definitions :thumbsup:

#11 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:34 PM

We're going to get a bit technical, maybe. I use AVG on two of the computers in my home and my parents and brother use it in their homes 1800 miles away. We had version 7.5 but received notification last spring that 7.5 needed to be updated to version 8.0 because updates and support would not be offered.

So, I dug through my sent email messages to find out exactly when I sent them instructions about updating to AVG 8.0. I located two messages sent: May 31, 2008. That's nearly a year ago.

I don't know if you've been receiving virus definitions in the meantime, or whether you just think that there is no support after April 12, 2009. Whatever the scenario, you need to update your program and definitions immediately. AVG 7.5 was no longer updated (according to what I understood) as of last summer.

I can't even remember what the control panel looks like. What is the date of your last virus definitions? Or better yet, take a look at an email that you've received. A stamp should be showing at the bottom of the email that looks something like this:

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.0.238 / Virus Database: 270.11.32/2030 - Release Date: 04/03/09 06:19:00

Is that present? What's the date?

Edited by txtchr, 03 April 2009 - 06:35 PM.

#12 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 06:04 AM

We had version 7.5 but received notification last spring that 7.5 needed to be updated to version 8.0 because updates and support would not be offered

It's may be the support will not be offered but the updates will

Problem is that the AVG 8.0 and now the 8.5 are NOT compatible with the older OS's that , as you will see from this any many other forums, many of us still choose to run :thumbsup:

#13 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:25 AM

Then if the OP is running a pre-XP computer, is there really any need to update from 7.5? I don't see it, as long as definitions are updated (I was under the impression that definitions would no longer be provided which is why I updated).

Because frankly, from my experiences and the experiences of many people, support from AVG's free forum board is non-existent due to the extremely restrictive nature of their posting rules, the rude attitude of their mods, and in many cases their "one-size fits all" answer: uninstall and reinstall the app, no matter what your particular problem may be.

#14 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:47 AM

Then if the OP is running a pre-XP computer, is there really any need to update from 7.5?

Like any other program ( or for that matter OS) ..although it is , in my view, 'sensible' to be looking at other alternatives, on the other hand why change to a different AV program if this one is still updating and doing what the operator wishes from the program :thumbsup:

#15 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,549 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:49 PM

Pardon me, but I think we're getting a little side-tracked here. Let me see if I can answer this question:

Thanks for all the input. I just received a notice yesterday from AVG stating that the program must be updated by Apr. 12th. After that there won't be any support for 7.5.

So, I will need to make a decision by then. What do you think of Avira?

From this post I think you're moving in the right direction. One of the main things you need to worry about is if and for how long updated definitions are continued for AVG 7.5. There is a pinned topic that is supposed to be restricted to whether or not definition updates for 7.5 are still being issued or not.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/145444/avg-antivirus-program-version-75/

AVG issues announcements of cutoff dates but keep pushing it back. As far as support ending for the AVG 7.5 program itself, that just means if you run across a bug or other technical problem with the program, you are on your own if you are a paying customer--you get the same, less than stellar (that txtchr has mentioned) forum support as users of the free version. For the most part that support is going to be to upgrade to the new version. In general it is good security policy to keep all your programs up to date, especially security software. Malware can exploit holes left open in any program, not just Windows and malware authors are upgrading their technology, so security software needs to upgrade to keep up. So at this point it is better to decide whether or not to upgrade to AVG 8.5 or switch to another anitvirus (AV) program.

In the topic previously mentioned, ruby1 has posted that she is still getting definition updates. How much longer this will last I have no idea. That thread is intended also for people running older operating systems--98SE and older because beginning with version 8.0 of AVG, those are no longer compatible. So they are trying to hold on to 7.5 as long as they can. My opinion and advice is that users of older OS's should switch to Avast and users of 2000/XP and above should either switch to AVG 8.x or another antivirus.

There are three free antivirus programs that are relatively well known and (also relatively) reliable that also include on access scanners, also known as real time scanners, that guard you against getting infected in the first place. Altho AVG has lost its reputation in my eyes and those of many others, I'm still including it since it does do the job and many are still happy with it.

Avira AntiVir
Avast
AVG

You asked about AntiVir--it's what I use and like the best after trying all three. I've posted about this and laid out the reasoning behind my choice and why I recommend it above the others--I don't mean to be a fanboy, but please read them over before you make your decision.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1126417
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1167330
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1184712
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1195300

just received a notice yesterday from AVG stating that the program must be updated by Apr. 12th

are they expecting you to wait until April 12 to do an update ; that seems a long time to NOT update the program doesnt it and run with OUT- dated definitions :thumbsup:

You're confusing definition updates with the Program upgrade--or at least that is what it sounds like. As long as definition updates for version 7.5 are still being issued--and you should be able to check some logs to confirm that this is true as ruby1 indicated--7.5 can still be used. I would have to see the exact wording of the message, but it probably means that they are threatening to cut off definition updates on April 12.

Where I think we're getting a little sidetracked is talk about older OS's not being supported. rlight has not posted which operating system is being used, but unless they say otherwise I figure that the OS is XP or higher--that's what the vast majority of posters are using now. But since even ruby1 seems to doubt whether she can use AVG 8 on 98SE, let's clear this up and give some details of why it doesn't work for older OS's anymore.

First the following page shows exactly which OS can run the latest version of AVG:
http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-viru...ee-edition#tba3

The comparison chart shows, among other things, that AVG now scans for and removes "spyware". That is because version 8 integrated the old AVG AntiSpyware (AVGAS) with AVG Antivirus (both free and paid). Before it was AVGAS the application was known by the name given to it by its original developers, ewido.

I and others who have done malware removal in the past two or three years are very familiar with ewido. When it first came on the scene it was much like MBAM is now--it would remove malware that antivirus wouldn't, and most of the time Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware had a hard time with as well. Ewido run in safe mode helped clean up a lot of systems in the malware removal forums--and it was freeware.

It was also one of the first security programs to only be compatible with NT-based systems--Windows 2000, XP and above. AVG bought out ewido and renamed the application to AVG AntiSpyware. Now AVG AntiSpyware is integrated into AVG antivirus and that is why the latter is only compatible with NT-based systems.

The AVGAS engine is still very powerful and overall a good program. But integrating it with LinkScanner and the security toolbar, et al, has just caused too many problems so many are dumping AVG. There is, however, an online version of ewido on their old site:
http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users