Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

some of the keys on my keyboard no longer give the proper symbol

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 simard

simard

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:40 PM

Hi there, and thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer! :thumbsup: This problem is really frustrating because I have important things I need to do asap and I am prevented from doing them.

EDIT: It seems the problem is exclusive to Firefox... I never use IE so I didn`t think to check until now, but yup, it`s just Firefox.

The problem is my keyboard. I was just posting in a discussion forum and going to hit the square bracket again to quote someone. But I think I hit something at the same time as pressing that key, as I was going for the A key but instead I hit around the shift key. So I think I hit the square bracket key plus the shift key or something around there, at once. Or perhaps a combination of three keys.. or perhaps this has nothing to do with the problem at all.. or for all I know I have a virus (although I have been scanning a lot lately and all seems clean). And now here is the problem:

left square bracket gives me nothing if I press it once, and if I press it twice: ^^
right square bracket gives me nothing if I press it once, and if I press it twice:
quotation mark: ` (ex: I don`t.. notice this is not the same as a usual quotation mark)
shift + two gives me " instead of the AT for e-mails
interrogation mark:
exclamation mark: oh, apparently this still works! lol
right slash (I think it is right, could be left I guess, I`m not sure which is which):
left slash: <
I don`t even know what those V brackets for HTML are called but they give me the wrong thing

all these still work: ! $ % & * ( ) - _ = + . ,

But the strangest thing is that if I open up Microsoft Works, my keyboard works just fine! I am really worried, because from experience often nobody will have answers to small problems, people only have answers to big problems, and I`ll never be able to use internet forums or even type in URLs easily again. Well this is my experience at least, please prove me wrong lol. I really hate computers.

I do apologize for making such a messy post, but I am writing this in haste to hopefully get a response as soon as possible! :huh:

Edited by simard, 01 April 2009 - 01:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Carpetsmoker

Carpetsmoker

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:17 PM

You probably have multiple keyboard configured, Windows sometimes switches between them for some applications, this is a feature and not a bug :thumbsup:.
This is a common problem in some countries such as the Netherlands where the native Dutch keyboard is almost never used and a U.S.-international keyboard layout is used, Windows configures the native Dutch layout anyway (In 10 years of IT experience, I have seen exactly TWO Dutch keyboards).

Next to the tray, there should be two letters with a blue background (i.e. NL, EN), this indicates the selected keyboard layout currently used.

Right-click, select `configure' (Or something to that effect), select the default layout, click apply, remove all others.

It depends on your keyboard which layout the correct one is, if you're not sure, post a picture of your keyboard and tell us your nationality.

Edited by Carpetsmoker, 01 April 2009 - 07:18 PM.

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users