Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't even boot in Safe mode./ Moved

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mtnboydl

mtnboydl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

Hi all! Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

I'll walk you through whats going on. Last night, I closed my laptop, putting it into standby. This morning, I opened it up, it woke up and everything was normal until I tried to start opening applications, Firefox specifically. My CPU meter and RAM meters maxed out at 100 and the computer wouldn't do anything. I finally got task manager to open up, but it didn't show anything draining my system, even though it showed it was being drained.

I did a hard reset (held the button down) and tried to reboot, only for it to flash what looks like a BSOD but I cannot tell because it is so fast. I tried again using safe mode, and it hung up at a file extension system32/fsbts.sys, followed by a BSOD and automatic reset.

If left alone, it will just cycle continuously. I changed the BIOS date to March 1st on the suspicion that it had something to do with April 1st, but no luck.

I will try to be around a computer throughout the day, but my schedule will be a little bit crazy. It may be an hour or two before I can respond to ideas/questions.

Any advice would be great! I have a lot of important data that I cannot afford to lose, or else I would have wiped the whole thing already.

Also...I am running XP.

Edited by mtnboydl, 01 April 2009 - 09:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,807 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:31 PM

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS unless a log is specifically requested.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 mtnboydl

mtnboydl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:28 PM

Ok. Thanks for moving me!

I am going to try to do a repair with the OS disc tomorrow, but I want to exhaust other options first.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:45 PM

It can be difficult to determine what exactly caused this problem. Bootup failure can be due to a variety of issues to include application faults, hardware failures, loose pin connections or malware. Startup failures that occur before the OS loader (Ntldr) starts could indicate missing or deleted files, or damage to the hard disk master boot record (MBR), partition table, or boot sector. If a problem occurs during startup, the system might have incompatible software or drivers, incompatible or improperly configured hardware, or corrupted registry/system files. However, the first thing to do is check all your hardware connections and ensure they are fitted properly.

If you cannot bootup in normal or safe mode, then your options are limited. See:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users