Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Resolution and Safe Mode problem

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sebastian barrow

sebastian barrow

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:28 AM

Hi there, I'm new to the forum so please bear with me. I have basic understanding of most computer processes but not in-depth knowledge for doing complex repairs, etc.

My problem is thus: My girlfriend was playing around with our PC's visual settings and maxed out the screen resolution setting in the Control Panel/Display menu. On doing this and pressing OK, the screen blacked out and displayed a floating white box with the words 'Error: Signal Out Of Range'. Now on restarting the PC, this happens as soon as Windows loads, rendering the PC unusable.

We've tried starting in Safe Mode as recommended on various websites, but the PC seemingly boots so quickly that it is impossible to reach the Windows Advanced Settings menu using the F8 key. We don't have another screen to hand to attempt to view Windows with, which leaves us in a bit of a pickle! Particularly as I have no idea what resolution its actually been set to, the screen blacked immediately and gave no confirmation options, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas, its getting to the point where we're considering reformatting the hard drive with the Windows XP cds, but this would have a disastrous effect on any data/files/programs that exist within the affected drives.

Basically - Help!!!

We're running Windows XP (possibly corporate edition) with a hard disk partitioned into about 6 drives, with all the Windows installation folders on C:// if its any help. The monitor is a non-widescreen LCD screen with normal resolution setting of 1024x768 pixels.

Many thanks

Seb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Smithsam

Smithsam

• Banned
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:38 AM

There is one option to set the resolution of your laptop screen which is boot your computer in Safe mode.
Where you press the power button same time you keep pressing F8 button . If you not able to get the option then try again.
Once you enter in safe mode here you change the Display setting. right click on desktop > Properties > display setting > and set resolution as you want.

#3 sebastian barrow

sebastian barrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:43 AM

Hi there, thanks for your response.

Unfortunately as stated in my original post, we are talking about a PC here and the F8 route to Safe Mode start up does not work! We've tried it multiple times.

Seb

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:53 AM

Do you know what key to hit to enter the bios on that system?

Seems like you have something that I think is called fastboot enabled which is why it boots so quickly and if you do, disabling it in bios might make it so you can see the bootup screen long enough to enter safe mode.

If repeatedly hitting F8 as soon as the computer powers up does not work, then try entering the bios by hitting the delete or F2 or whatever key your system uses to enter the bios as soon as the computer powers up and look for some setting like fastboot.

Edited by Stang777, 01 April 2009 - 08:06 AM.

#5 sebastian barrow

sebastian barrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:02 AM

Its running XP, Service Pack 3. I have a niggling feeling that it may be the corporate edition of XP we're using, don't ask me why. I think my girlfriend knows how to access the bios but how would that help us?

Curious, thanks

Seb

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:07 AM

Sorry, I edited my post above your reply to clarify, just look up, lol

#7 sebastian barrow

sebastian barrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:12 AM

Ok I'll have a look at that tonight. Fastboot hmm??? :thumbsup:

Many thanks, I'll get back if it hasn't worked.

Cheers

Seb

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:14 AM

You are welcome. Post back and let us know if it works or not. You probably have to hit the key several times, just make sure you are hitting the right key because if the computer has a recovery partition, hitting the wrong key might put you in that and that would not be good

#9 sebastian barrow

sebastian barrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:46 AM

What effect would that have exactly? Someone at work has suggested trying F11 or Escape instead of F8 to access the Windows menu - what happens if either of those keys send us to Recovery Partition?

Seb

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:54 AM

If you do not have a recovery partition, I don't think hitting the wrong key can do much damage but f you do have one, it could set your system back to the way it was when you got it. I do not know if it would ask you to confirm doing a recovery as I have never had a system with a recovery partition. If I am not mistaken, you would lose your data if you did that type of recovery. If the computer was made by HP or Dell, or another big company, you probably have a recovery partition, if it was a custom built one, you probably do not.

Now that I think about it, I do not think all big name companies make them with recovery partitions though, I have had a Micron and Gateway that did not have one. However, they were made quite a few years ago.

Edited by Stang777, 01 April 2009 - 08:59 AM.

#11 sebastian barrow

sebastian barrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:15 AM

PC was custom-built by a friend, and 'improved' (i.e. made stable) by a slightly more talented individual several months later :thumbsup:

Hopefully it'll give me a confirmation message if we inadvertedly command it to go to Recovery.

I'll get back

Seb

Edited by sebastian barrow, 01 April 2009 - 09:16 AM.

#12 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:25 AM

In that case, I highly doubt you have a recovery partition

#13 sebastian barrow

sebastian barrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:08 AM

Just to let you know people;

Took a chance on it and tried Escape to access Safe Mode - luckikly it worked. Tried various screen resolution setting changes but no luck, so we've done a system restore and its all back to normal with minimal data loss.

Thanks for everyone's ideas :thumbsup:

Seb

#14 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:05 AM

I am very glad you got it working.

I love that system restore feature, I think it is my favorite feature of XP. I have used it for so many things and I watch my restore points like a hawk to make sure they are there. Last night I did a restore to fix some odd folder things that were happening yesterday and the restore operation made such a huge restore point (it had never done that before) that it fifo'd out ALL my restore points right after. I got very nervous, lol. Luckily I had saved a couple of restore points in a different area of my drive so even though I made a new restore point as soon as I saw it fifo them out, I copied them back into the folder so I would have a couple of known good ones just in case.

I felt lucky that I had already seen the size of that restore point so I knew it was hitting the limit AND that I had the folder open when it fifo'd them out so I actually saw it happen. Had that not been the case, I would have been sure some virus got me as many of them do take out your restore points. It did not help matters that it happened a couple of hours into April 1, the date that so called big virus was supose to do its damage, lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users