Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oulook Express Icon gone - it's different

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:54 AM

something happened to my OUTLOOK EXPRESS icon instead of the normal icon with the blue arrows around it it's now a plain thing. Can i get it back to the way it supposed to be. I have tried locating it but it ain't there. Only all the other icons are. Could i download the icon?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2005 - 06:30 PM

Did a reboot fix the problem?

#3 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:06 AM

No. the program istelf works perfectly. its just the icon different.

#4 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:41 AM

i was told that you can download Outlook Express 6 from the Microsoft site but i can't find any apart from SP1, updates and fixes. i want the whole program. No i can't do a repair windows because i have a 4 disc recovery thing not the actual windows and no i can't do a system restore because it was wiped because of little bugs were in my PC which are now gone.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:43 AM

If you right click on the current icon, select properties, select the shortcut tab, select change icon, you might find the icon you are looking for there.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:51 AM

The icon isn't there i can't find it anywhere. it doesn't exist. It used to be there. white envelope with the blue arrows ain't there. i tried to make a icon but it doesn't work. i found the outlook express download but it says i have a new version installed but the latest version is 6 which is what i have. so i can't have a newer version.

#7 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:54 AM

Posted Image

the above is the outlook express screen. you should see the envelope with 2 arrows on it. that's the icon that is supposed to be there. it was there when i first got the computer. but it ain't there anymore just this crappy looking thing. is it because of the updates that it changed.

#8 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:59 AM

Posted Image

the above you should see the outlook 7 and the envelope that can see there is what i have and it ain't supposed to be like that. i don't have outlook 7 i have 6.

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:03 AM

Not sure why it changed. Go to Start>Find>Find Files or Folders and do a search for msimn.exe. That is the executable that starts Outlook Express. When you find it, right click, hold the button and drag it to the desktop. Let go and select create shortcut here.

You can delete the old "plain" icon if it is in fact a shortcut. If it is not, deleting the icon will delete msimn.exe, so be careful with that.

Just saw the "7" post. If you don't have OE7 I don't know why that shows up.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:05 AM

Yes, updates will give you OE7.

#11 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:20 AM

i know officially that outlook express 7 isn't available 'til next year or whenever internet explorer 7 is released along with Office 12 and Longhorn - i think they were to be released all together but i heard that Office 12 will be out before the new windows butnot sure of the others.

i did a search on msimn.exe and found 2 files.

Program Files/Outlook Express/msimn.exe [this is the strange icon one]
WINDOWS/ServicePackFiles/i386 [this has the normal version icon]

now i don't know why it is the way it is. could i delete the odd icon one and replace it with the proper one or just go into create a shortcut and change icon and use it from there.

i deleted the odd icon one {just sitting in the bin - able to restore it]
the normal one still works - can i copy it and put it in where the other on was.

#12 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:26 AM

update ...

the icon i deleted windows replaced it with the normal one. now the icon in the all program menu is back to normal but when i go into start menu properties and customise then select "Show Outlook Express" it shows the bleepy icon. I know i can pin the other to the menu but i was wondering if it can be changed.

Edited by Izzy, 16 June 2005 - 06:30 AM.

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:26 AM

the normal one still works - can i copy it and put it in where the other on was.

If the normal one opens OE and your settings and address book are there you can do that.

#14 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:31 AM

cool, thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users