Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Video After Shut Down And Reboot (Black Screen)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BobbyBunkan

BobbyBunkan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:22 AM

Hi,

I just started getting in to the technical aspect of computers and I look forward to being an active member in these forums. Anywho, here is my problem:

Whenever I shut down my computer and turn it back on I always get no video a.k.a black screen. To fix this problem I have to unplug the power supply cord and the DVI adapter and plug them back in. This works literally every time. Is it a problem with the integrated graphics on the motherboard maybe? (IDK, I'm just throwing thoughts around) This problem starting happening ever since I put a new Nvidia 7600GS AGP video card in to replace my 5200FX AGP.

My computer specs:
Dell Dimension 8300 Windows XP SP 3
1.5Gb Ram
Pentium 4 3.0Ghz

Any help would be much appreciated. If you need any other computer specs let me know and I'll be happy to provide.

p.s. this problem never occurs on a restart, just on power up from shutdown.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:15 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Have you tried running the fixmbr command from the Recovery Console?

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Personally...I've not known of an O/S or software problem...that could be overcome by disconnecting/connecting power to the system or a device.

I would try reseating the video card and checking the slot to ensure that there is nothing interfering with card contacts.

Louis

#3 BobbyBunkan

BobbyBunkan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:25 PM

Thanks for the reply hamluis. I read through your link and I dont think I'm at that point. This really isnt that big of an issue for me since I dont turn my computer off all that much. It's just eating at me and I like solving problems so I figure I'll try and figure out why its giving me a black screen on startup only from shutdown.

My computer turns on (hard drives, fans, cd-rom drives, etc.) but no video will go to the monitor until I replug the DVI adapter and power supply cord. Doing that will produce video every time to my monitor. I have taken the video card out and put it back in about 3-4 times now and it's still doing the same thing. I play games and watch videos with no problem, like I said, the only issue I run into is when I shut down my computer.

#4 StickDude101

StickDude101

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:22 PM

I think you have to plug your monitor into your graphics card. If you have onboard graphics then plug it into your Monitor port in the back of your computer. Then make sure you have the bios set to boot from the card or the onboard, which ever one you have the monitor plugged into.

Keep Tapping F1 at startup to get into your BIOS. Then move to boot and set your boot option to AGP or ONBOARD. Depending on which you have :thumbsup:

Hope you understand this post :flowers:

~StickDude101

#5 837837_ca

837837_ca

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:11 PM

"This problem starting happening ever since I put a new Nvidia 7600GS AGP video card in to replace my 5200FX AGP."

If u had not uninstalled 5200fx drivers & software, prior to installation of the 7600GS, u may encounter this problem. Suggest uninstalling 7600gs driver and sw. Run a Registry cleanup utility i.e. CCleaner

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ (look for residual refs. to both cards)

Reboot and let XP install generic Nvidia drivers; then reinstall 7600GS package

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users