Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

It All started with WinPC Defender

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Friggin Frustrated

Friggin Frustrated

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:05 AM

This is my first time here so I hope I do this right! I unforunately got WinPC Defender on my PC which is an HP compaq NC8000 and my OS is XP Pro SP3. When I looked for a solution I downloaded Spydoctor, but unfortunately, nothing could be fixed until I became a premium member which I cannot afford at this time. I then downloaded Malwarebytes Anti Malware but when I go to open it it won't. In its properties menu "Start in" section is empty. I then downloaded Spybot search and destroy and again it wont open, but there is an active icon down in the right corner saying that new process are being scanned. This has been for 3 or 4 days now still scanning. My computer is and is freezing all the time. Also when I search in Google it redirects me to all kinds of different search sites. Can someone help me...I might be new at this, but I would say I am infected! Thankyou! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:11 AM

Some types of malware will disable Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it and changing the file extension.
  • Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file, rename it to mysetup and change the .exe extension to .scr, .com, .pif, or .bat.
  • Then double-click on mysetup.scr (or whatever extension you renamed it) to begin installation.
  • If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files.
  • Right-click on mbam.exe, rename it to myscan and change the .exe extension in the same way as noted above.
  • Double-click on myscan.scr (or whatever extension you renamed it) to launch the program.
If using Windows Vista, refer to How to Change a File Extension in Windows Vista.

Be sure to update MBAM through the program's interface (preferable method) or manually download the definition updates and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Then perform a Quick Scan in normal mode and check all items found for removal. Don't forgot to reboot afterwards. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the new report in your next reply.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users