Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Myst and Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:36 PM

I'm trying to install the original Myst (from 1995) on an HP xt375 running XP Pro. The auto-run screen appears, I click install, and nothing happens. I see 2 tasks appear in the task manager: " setup32.exe" and " wowexec.exe" (the spaces are intentional). Neither shows any CPU usage, and they don't display a number in the Mem Usage column.

The funny thing is, I have an HP tx1220us, also running Windows XP Pro, and I was able to install Myst from the same disk without any problems. What's going on here?

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, this computer is also unable to install Jane's Fleet Command. This program uses a 32-bit installer, so the problem is apparently not with 16-bit programs as I initially suspected.

Edited by Lanscader, 01 April 2009 - 12:21 AM.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:12 AM

First of all....

HELLO AGAIN to all my old friends here at BC. Ive not been here for nearly a year due to lack of time and lack of available computers where i have been, but im back! :thumbsup:

Right then buddy. These games you mention are old games that i imagine only run in MS Dos, which the modern day Windows platforms either struggle with or dont play at all. In a short term, they just are not compatible with some models of PC or XP/Vista.

But, do not fear. There is a program called DOSbox which basically creates a virtual DOS format to allow the game to run.

Its a little detailed, but here is a link to a guide and site that will help you with it and all the software you need. It also is a site for abandonware games, so you might find some old classics there that you can download to play and keep for free, legally. The site is also very clean of Virus and Malware, but like anything, always have a quick scan yourself first. :flowers:

Heres the linky, have fun, you should have the games playing in no time:

DOSbox and instructions
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#3 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:22 AM

I'll give DOSbox a try at some point, but I'm more interested in installing them directly to XP, because I've done it before. I've installed Fleet Command to several of my computers on several occasions, and I've installed Myst more than once.

It turns out that my tx1220 runs Taablet PC Edition, but that's still based on XP Pro. My gaming rig at home runs Pro, and has had both games successfully installed at one time or another.

#4 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:21 PM

The computer in question also cannot install Sim Compter. I have installed this game on a Windows XP Pro machine as well.

*bump*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users