Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Override- Conficker?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 pochp

pochp

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:42 PM

One of my anti-spyware caught this:

'Microsoft Word Security Center. AntiVirus Override'.

Can anybody tell me what that means? Is it related to Conficker?
pochp.wordpress.com
Plato on-line

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KonamiYoto

KonamiYoto

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:55 PM

It probably isn't Conflicker, as Conflicker sneaks onto your Computer Secretly. It probably wouldn't alert you.
Trojan, possibly?

#3 pochp

pochp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:20 AM

Well, let's hope so Kanami. Thanks.
pochp.wordpress.com
Plato on-line

#4 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:44 AM

What other scans such as Malwarebytes and Superantispyware have you run to check FOR infections?

Do you have any reports for someone to check for you ?
And, come to that, what installed antivirus program do you have and when was it last fully updated and run on a full computer scan? :thumbsup:

#5 pochp

pochp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:13 AM

My anti-spy was just updated this am before the scan.
I'm sorry but I don't reveal my anti-spy but I'll give you a hint: the name starts with 'spy'.
pochp.wordpress.com
Plato on-line

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:59 AM

Spybot-Search&Destroy is informing you that the monitoring of anti-virus/firewall is disabled in the Windows Security Center (introduced in Windows XP SP2).

Security Center notifications are turned off. Windows will not tell you about the status of your anti-virus software and Firewall.

Allow Spybot-Search&Destroy to fix it. Fixing it will restore the registry key value to default.

It is possible that you could have malware. Run at least one other scanner-Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyWare are good ones to use. I do hope you have more thant one on your system-malware comes in so many forms that you need more than one anti-malware program.

Also, why do you not reveal the which program you are using? I did a search for your issue, and everything I found mentions Spybot. There are times when it is very helpful for us to know what program(s) someone uses, as sometimes issues are program specific. We cannot effectively help if we have to guess at what programs are in use by a poster.

Are you able to connect to the following websites? If you can't, that could be an indication you are infected with conficker.

* http://www.symantec.com/norton/theme.jsp?t..._conficker_worm
* http://www.mcafee.com

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 April 2009 - 09:37 AM.

#7 pochp

pochp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:46 AM

Very good Queen. Since you are very astute and now know what my anti-spy is, I don't have to mention it now do I?
If I don't want to reveal something personal, that's my business isn't it?
Don't worry. I am not infected. Thank you very much Ma'am.
pochp.wordpress.com
Plato on-line

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:45 PM

You are correct that it is your business whether to reveal what security/malware scanner programs you use.
But I stand behind what I said-it makes it difficult to help someone when we ask for certain things and don't get it.
Giving help to those who need it is often a guessing game, because details are not given. In your case, astuste has nothing to do it with . There are numerous programs that have Spy as part of the name-I would not waste my time trying to figure out which one you use. Nor would I pick one and hope it is the correct choice. A Google search told me what I needed to know in less than 30 seconds.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 April 2009 - 12:52 PM.

#9 pochp

pochp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:37 PM

I stand by what I say too. What now? :thumbsup:
pochp.wordpress.com
Plato on-line

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:59 PM

Don't worry. I am not infected.

What now? :thumbsup:

Since you are unwilling to give us the information necessary to go beyond guessing games this thread is closed. You have every right to keep information to yourself. We have the right to avoid playing guessing games, and wasting staff time.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users