Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ownership of Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Black Jack 2.0

Black Jack 2.0

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:28 PM

My computer crashed around three months ago, I've since purchased a new computer. I removed the hard drive from my old computer and bought a Thermaltake black HDD USB Docking Station to connect it to my new computer in an attemp to retreve my photos and documents. The problem I'm running into is that my old computer had several users, all password protected. I tried taking ownership of the drive in Windows Vista with no luck, the only files/photos it will let me retreve are the shared document. The old hard drive is a WD2000 WD Caviar SE with XPSP2. Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:45 PM

you might try installing the drive internally, and seeing if you can go in from there and remove the passwords and retrieve the files. You might also try using Ubuntu to get the files off of it, even if its only from a ubuntu live CD. Linux works wonders and retrieving files from hard drives.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:05 AM

HERE is a link telling how to take ownership for XP. I could not find any for Vista.. Have you done it this way? If so, have you tried in safe mode?

I tried taking ownership of the drive in Windows Vista with no luck

I think you can only do it by files and folders. If you already know this, then never mind... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:44 AM

I guess that I don't see where the number of users is germane...if you are the Admin and we are talking about your files.

Unless Vista is remarkably different from any other version of Windows...taking ownership is typically necessary only when dealing with Docs & Settings files, IME. Data files that are not in those folders should be easily retrievable.

What error messages do you get?

Louis

#5 Black Jack 2.0

Black Jack 2.0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

I have tried that way although I will try again following the information contained in that link step by step to be sure I didnít miss any. I have not tried in safe mode, do you know if the procedure for starting a computer in safe mode running Vista is the same as XP? Also do you know if I was to install that hard drive in another computer (as the_patriot09 mentioned) would it work regardless of computer brand or would I have to refigure the jumpers on the hard drive or them computer? Thanks again.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:14 AM

Is this a PATA or SATA drive? Model numbers don't tell much these days, since vendors seem to sell models in both PATA/IDE and SATA modes.

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Review/19618...d2000-sata.aspx

A hard drive is nothing but a storage container. The storage container is capable of being used/accessed (normally) if the proper connections are made to the system.

If the proper connections are made...and a user has problems accessing data on the drive...I would think that it might be time to run a disk diagnostic on the drive.

I would have just connected the drive directly to the new system (if there is support on the motherboard for such and proper power connection), if I had wanted to remove files. If I had no support for that type of drive, I would have either bought a controller card or a USB 2.0 enclosure, assuming that I might want to use/access that type of drive in the future.

I'm not sure what the docking station is supposed to do..but a simple connection to the motherboard would seem best to me.

If it's a PATA drive and you connect it (by itself) to the end IDE cable connector, you should not have to move a jumper setting. If something else is connected on that same cable (middle connector), then the jumper settings for both devices need to be of the same kind (both either Cable Select or each set to Master (end) or Slave (middle).

Louis

#7 Black Jack 2.0

Black Jack 2.0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:18 AM

When I try to open "My Document" on the old hard drive with it connected to my computer via the docking station, I believe it just reads "You do not have permission to access this file" (I will have to check exactly when I get home and repost) I've tried the steps I knew to take ownership but it still would not let me open the file. This new computer is my first experience with Vista and I'm finding out some things are not the same.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:41 PM

have you tried right clicking the file and go to sharing properties? this prolly wont help, but its worth a try.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:41 PM

Can you ask the other users what their passwords are?
If you tell them you want to transfer their stuff over so they won't lose it, they may be willing to give you the passwords.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users