Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Restore My Windows Desktop?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TRS60586

TRS60586

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:01 PM

I was getting the "UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME" blue screen of death every time Windows XP tried to start up. I tried CHKDSK and FDISK but was determined to be unrepairable. I then purchased and installed a second hard drive, formatted it and installed Windows XP onto it. Windows now starts properly from this new drive (C:), and I can access all the folders and files on the old drive (D:) so have copied them all over onto the new drive, except for the files in the WINDOWS folder. I did copy the files named SYSTEM, SOFTWARE, SAM, SECURITY, and DEFAULT from the old drive into C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\ on the new drive but when Windows tried to start I got the blue screen again so I just reinstalled Windows on the new hard drive and I'm back to the same place: default windows background with only the Recycle Bin icon. How do I restore my windows desktop (icons, etc) back to how it was when it was loading off the old hard disk?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:19 PM

Do not transfer SYSTEM, SOFTWARE, SAM, SECURITY, and DEFAULT over to the new drive.

For you desktop, on the old disk there should be a file called desktop. It should be located in the Documents and Settings folder under your user name. Copy that file into the same place on your new C drive and your icons should all be there. Most of those shortcuts won't work though unless you have reinstalled the programs they are for. You will have to manually set your wallpaper and desktop settings unless you saved your theme before. If you saved it before there should be a file on your old drive called "My Favorite Theme". If it is there, you can just copy that to the same place on your new drive.

Edited by Stang777, 31 March 2009 - 10:22 PM.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:22 PM

If you still have everything on the D drive, open it up.
Find your files, and look for DESKTOP. (use the Windows search function to find them if needed, just set it to search only the D drive)
Open the folder, hold down the ctrl and A keys at the same time to highlight the files.
On the left side of the page, under file and folder tasks, choose COPY.
In the box that opens up, click on the + next to Local Disk C, then the + next to Documents and Settings, then on the one next to your account name. Highlight Desktop, then click Copy.

I suggest you copy instead of move, as leaving them will provide a back up for future use.
Use the same procedure for any other files (documents, photos, music) that you want to put back on your new C drive.

You will have to drag the icons to where you want them.

#4 TRS60586

TRS60586
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:14 AM

Thanks for the help. I had previously copied the entire contents of the DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS folder and sub folders as well as the contents of the PROGRAM FILES folder from the old (D:) drive to the new (C:) but tried what has been suggested anyway. No luck though, as the outcome is the same: only the Recycle Bin icon on the desk top and only the standard windows programs show up under the Start button. Any other thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:28 AM

Did you open the desktop folder to see if all items copied over? If they did not, then open the desktop folder on the old drive and select all items then copy them. Open the desktop folder on the new drive and paste them in. I doubt you would have to reboot to have it take effect but you might. If that doesn't work, I have no idea how else to do it other than to manually make them again. There is no reason that should not work, I have done that on many computers. I may have had to open the folder and paste them in instead of just pasting the folder, I cannot remember for sure. Even though it shouldn't, it is possible that pasting the folder would just make a folder called desktop2 or something similar instead of putting them in the folder. I also did that with the start menu.

The more I think about it, I do think I had to copy and paste the individual files instead of just the folder

Edited by Stang777, 01 April 2009 - 03:29 AM.

#6 TRS60586

TRS60586
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:56 PM

I've copied the entire contents of the Desktop folder and checked the contents of that folder on the old drive (D:) against the new drive (C:) and all folders & files appear to be there but with Windows loading off of C: still no desktop icons appear besides the Recycle Bin, and none of my programs show up under the Start Menu.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:05 PM

Hello please do this next..

Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del) and go to File >> New Task (Run...) >> type explorer.exe >>press Enter

Then, do a search for your explorer.exe via your search function..

You may find the copy of explorer.exe via either of below locations..

C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\explorer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\explorer.exe

Just choose either one of them and copy/paste it to C:\WINDOWS folder..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 TRS60586

TRS60586
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:36 PM

explorer.exe was already in the C:\Windows folder but went ahead and and copied from C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 however no change when Windows starts: blank desktop except for Recycle Bin.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:50 PM

How about this...
Go to Start > Control Panel > Display. Click on the "Desktop" tab, then the "Customize Desktop..." button.
Click on the "Web" tab, then under Web Pages, uncheck and delete everything you find (except "My Current Home page").
These are some common malware related entries you may see:

Security Info
Warning Message
Security Desktop
Warning Homepage
Privacy Protection
Desktop Uninstall

If present, select each entry and click the Delete button.
Also, make sure the Lock desktop items box is unchecked. Click "Ok", then "Apply" and "Ok".

When done, go back into your Desktop Settings and you should be able to change the color/theme to whatever you want.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:16 PM

The post by Boopme just reminded me of another setting, "Hide desktop icons when ?????" I think it is when webpage is selected as wallpaper but I cannot remember for sure and I cannot remember where that setting is. I just looked in the place Boopme mentioned and did not find it, I also looked all through the display properties and could not find it, but I remember seeing it somewhere.

Ok, how about this easily overlooked step that I had totally fogotten about until just now when I stumbled upon it while looking for a solution for this problem. When you right click on the desktop, then click on "Arrange Icons By" do you have "Show Desktop Icons" checked?

Edited by Stang777, 03 April 2009 - 12:12 AM.

#11 TRS60586

TRS60586
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:42 AM

Appreciate all the suggestions. Will try the latest when I get home from work in the morning.

#12 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:46 AM

Good luck, I would not be at all surprised if it isn't as easy as checking the show desktop icons. It has to be something easy, otherwise we would have come up with it days ago, lol.

Be sure to let us know

Edited by Stang777, 03 April 2009 - 12:47 AM.

#13 TRS60586

TRS60586
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:29 PM

How about this...
Go to Start > Control Panel > Display. Click on the "Desktop" tab, then the "Customize Desktop..." button.
Click on the "Web" tab, then under Web Pages, uncheck and delete everything you find (except "My Current Home page").
These are some common malware related entries you may see:

Security Info
Warning Message
Security Desktop
Warning Homepage
Privacy Protection
Desktop Uninstall

If present, select each entry and click the Delete button.
Also, make sure the Lock desktop items box is unchecked. Click "Ok", then "Apply" and "Ok".

When done, go back into your Desktop Settings and you should be able to change the color/theme to whatever you want.

The "My Current Home Page" was the only thing listed under Web Pages. I can change my wallpaper, colors, themes; just can't get any of the icons that where available or any of the programs I've added to show up on the desktop and under Start menu All Programs list respectively.

#14 TRS60586

TRS60586
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

Good luck, I would not be at all surprised if it isn't as easy as checking the show desktop icons. It has to be something easy, otherwise we would have come up with it days ago, lol.

Be sure to let us know

The Show Desktop Icons option was already checked (selected).

I has to be something simple but it's got me baffled. :thumbsup:

#15 onetiger2

onetiger2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:39 PM

I don't know if I'm missing something here but, so far as I know, all he needs to do to get his shortcut icons on the desktop is to find the file within his new installation that he wants a shortcut for, right click on it, select "create shortcut" from the drop down menu, then drag the new shortcut to the desktop.

To change the desktop background, right click somewhere in the desk top, select "properties" from the drop down menu, then choose one of the backgrounds.

I can't see any need to copy and paste these things from his old drive but then, as I said, I might have missed something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users