Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What do you think Conficker will do on April 1st?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:21 PM

One of the hottest topics in the media right now is the Conficker worm that is poised to perform some sort of action tomorrow, April 1st. There has been a lot of buzz about this worm, but most of it is speculation. What we do know is that millions of PCs are infected, their owners probably do not know, and tomorrow the worm will receive instructions to do something. As you can see, there is really not a lot to go on.

Now, if we listened to the media, this is Y2K redux; when the worms receive their commands the world will shake, buildings will topple, and the Internet will cease to exist as we know it. In reality, though, we have absolutely no idea what this worm will do and, in my opinion, there is a good chance that April 1st will come and go with nothing more than your normal April fools stories rather than with a big bang. In fact, isn't it interesting that this worm is slated to perform an action on April 1st? Could this just be one big April fools joke against the computer security industry.

Even if the instructions the worms receive are malicious in intent, most of the infected users will turn on their computer and go about their day to day activities none the wiser. Their Internet will be a lot slower because the worm may be DDOSing some company or organization, but you the consumer will be mostly unaffected. That does not mean that this worm may not cause issues, but it probably won't cause issues for the majority of people. For those, though, who are concerned that their computer may be infected with Conficker, I created a guide back in January for testing your computer, which I linked to below.

Now, when it comes down to it, everything I said is all speculation, but isn't all of the reporting on Conficker? What are your thoughts? What do you think Conficker will do tomorrow?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:24 PM

/Koan shuts off all his electric power now.

click
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:46 PM

I'll laugh if they took down Google.

t'would be hilarious, but the thing itself isn't. Hey, i've got a backup hard drive, so i'm not that worried.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#4 ransompendragon

ransompendragon

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:39 PM

Maybe it is all about the scare--my wife's IT department sent out their confiker alert with the title "Security Prevention."
~ XFX 780i SLI ~ Intel E8500 Stock ~ 2 X 2 GB OCZ Reaper Stock ~ EVGA 8800GT SC 512 MB Stock ~ Creative X-Fi Platinum ~ Corsair 750w PSU ~ LianLi PC7h+ Case ~ WD Raptor 150 GB HD ~ Seagate Baracuda 250 GB HD ~ Logitech z5500 Speakers ~ Viewsonic vx922 ~ Razer Diamondback Mouse ~ Saitek Gamer's Keyboard ~

Laptop 1 : Toshiba Satellite Pro <- CLEAN - THANKS BC! ~ Laptop 2: Eee 701 4G ~ Laptop3: Eee 1000 HE

#5 KonamiYoto

KonamiYoto

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:48 PM

I completely agree with you, Grinler. It's probably just some huge April Fool's joke just to scare the people.
However, I still updated my AntiVirus and Firewall's just in case, not like it would really make a difference either way.

#6 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:18 PM

Distributors are ready on Limewire. See my blog

#7 KonamiYoto

KonamiYoto

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:49 PM

10 minutes left (my time). Oh I can't wait to see this.

#8 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:16 AM

Approx. 1 hour and 15 minutes beyond the time and nothing has happened on my end so far. Not that I need to worry too much. Time for me to shut down for the night.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#9 Guest_MissyDog_*

Guest_MissyDog_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:29 AM

6:30 am CDT and so far so good...

I'm starting to agree that this is an April Fool's prank...

#10 Beenthere

Beenthere

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:32 AM

It will change your background to a kitty and a caption: FREE TIBET

#11 Guest_MissyDog_*

Guest_MissyDog_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:50 AM

It will change your background to a kitty and a caption: FREE TIBET

:thumbsup: :trumpet: :flowers:
idk why...I just got a kick out of that...

#12 VaynardX

VaynardX

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:25 AM

Well, everything seemed ok. I downloaded the bitdefender fix just in case. But here's the catch, I scanned my pc using malwarebytes and to my surprise, it found 3 entries of "Disable virus notification" or something like that. I dont know why I got that thing, since my AV is always on. Anyway, I had MBAM remove it, and I also ran the prog bd(as stated in this topic) and said that my system is clean. So what gives? Anyone have ideas?

#13 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:45 AM

you guys sound disappointed at the lack of mayhem

#14 MishY

MishY

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:27 PM

I think it's terrorists who want to bring down the economies of the world but Bush and his investment bank cronies beat'em to it.
Mid-day April 1 here and internet is fast and friendly.
Did burn my toast for breakfast but I don't think that was related to Conficker C.

#15 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:16 PM

7:16pm here nothing happend or to anyone i know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users