Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden drop in internet speed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 geoffo

geoffo

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:25 AM

I have Windows98 and a 56k connection. I usually get good download speeds but since Sunday, this has dropped dramatically. Some pages won’t even open. I usually open at 42k but sometimes it is as low as 29k. – but even now when opening at 42k, it is still very slow. This all started after I loaded a legit site and a java box appeared asking me to enter my name. I didn’t like the look of it and disconnected immediately. I then received “performed illegal operation” message quoting MMTASK.TSK.

I have run AV, scandisk, Spybot S&D, Adaware, sfc, and certain Norton Utilites that tell me my hard disk is ok. I have also defragged the hard disk. My HiJackThis log looks ok as it has not changed from when I had a problem checked out a while ago.

I thought it might be my telephone line as there was a crackle. I reported it to BT but they found no fault. I am now contacting my ISP, but I know this will not throw up anything because a friend is also with claranet and has had no problems. I think the MMTASK might be a red herring as it did run normally afterwards for a short while.

Can anyone suggest what I could try next please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 03:17 AM

I still suspect your phone line, does it still crackle? If so that's a sure sign there is a problem although usually crackles will cause your dial-up to drop out frequently as well as run slow.
Do a search for an "Internet speed test" on google for UK sites and see what kind of speed you're realy getting.

Not trying to disparage the good people at BT but if they run the same way as Telstra here in OZ the formula for fixing line complaints is as follows:

1. receive complaint about line quality.
2. wait 24 Hrs.
3. ring customer back and tell him/her the line has been checked and is fine.
4. If not heard from again take no further action.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 15 June 2005 - 03:18 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users