Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup software suggestions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sswartzdog

sswartzdog

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:58 PM

Hi. i recently bought an external HD that came w/ memeo backup software. in a nutshell i hate it. it takes forever and is so unable to distinguish between things that were previously backed up and hence moved or deleted to create space and things that remain that need to be backed up, that it never actually finishes a backup and creates a ton of error msgs about all these files it can no longer find. anyone have a suggestion on a backup software that actually works and doesn't slow your computer down to a crawl? i'm running XP. thx.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:48 AM

Cobian Backup is well recommended
http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 sswartzdog

sswartzdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:01 PM

thanks for the info. how do i close out this post?

thx, shaun

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:19 PM

thanks for the info. how do i close out this post?

You don't
It's fine the way it is
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:34 PM

Before you go, Shaun,

You might also be interested in Titan Backup v2. It's a commercial backup software that you would normally have to pay for, but is now available for FREE.

See THIS article.

Please note I don't personally use this software, just came across it recently and thought it might be what you're looking for. Titan Backup is a well known backup software and the offer is both legitimate and legal.

Edited by RedDawn, 07 April 2009 - 07:35 PM.

#6 golfdude

golfdude

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:04 AM

I use the Back-up in Vista. Is there any advantage in using another program to do this?

Thanks,
Golfdude

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Intel i7-3820, 32 GB DDR3-1600, Intel 330 SSD Boot Drive, WD 3TB Data Drive, Radeon HD7770 GHz Edition, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

#7 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:17 AM

I use the Back-up in Vista. Is there any advantage in using another program to do this?

Hi golfdude,

That is all I use too and I would assume it would be sufficient enough for the average user also.

From what I see, third party backup utilities such as Titan offer a more comprehensive backup solution with extra options such as encryption and registry backup to name two.

Titan Backup lets you easily backup settings for Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera browsers, email and rules for Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, Eudora, Windows settings, Address Book.

The backup utility in Vista is uncomplicated and covers everything I need at the moment, so I've never really looked to deeply into the option of using alternative software.

Edited by RedDawn, 08 April 2009 - 11:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users