Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Bootup Crash

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 combo

combo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:10 AM

After a power cut where I live cut out my XP computer, it now crashes on the first BIOS screen with the American Megatrends logo on bootup. It does not respond to anything, except the power off button. However, after having switched it off, if I switch the computer back immediately afterwards or within several minutes of doing so, it boots up through successfully and works perfectly. It only crashes on startup after being switched off for a while. Is it a power issue...?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 03:29 AM

That's an odd one :thumbsup:

The only thing that comes to mind is the BIOS battery. If it is low voltage maybe the CMOS memory is corrupted during a long power off - you boot and it crashes. You reboot and (this is the speculative bit) it resets to defaults.

Depending on the age of your system it may report the battery voltage in the BIOS (most likely press the Del key when you start up and search around for "environment" or "power status" or something like that). Or you could download Everest which will tell you the battery voltage -
Everest download
Temperatures, voltages and fan speeds are shown under Computer>Sensor.

hth :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 combo

combo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2005 - 12:38 AM

That's an odd one :thumbsup:

The only thing that comes to mind is the BIOS battery. If it is low voltage maybe the CMOS memory is corrupted during a long power off - you boot and it crashes. You reboot and (this is the speculative bit) it resets to defaults.

Depending on the age of your system it may report the battery voltage in the BIOS (most likely press the Del key when you start up and search around for "environment" or "power status" or something like that). Or you could download Everest which will tell you the battery voltage -
Everest download
Temperatures, voltages and fan speeds are shown under Computer>Sensor.

hth  :flowers:

I withdrew the CMOS battery, wiped it as it was mildly dirty, and inserted it back in again. This resetted the memory to default, although unfortunately I still suffer the problem.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 03:16 AM

My intention was for you to buy a NEW battery and insert that. They are available at camera stores if not in your supermarket or newsagents. Its worth a try.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:17 PM

If the computer is 4+ years old the chances are the battery needs replacement.

#6 combo

combo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:01 PM

If the computer is 4+ years old the chances are the battery needs replacement.

Nov/Dec last year, so fairly recent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users