Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wipe and Clean Install XP Hm Service pk2

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Basil 1963

Basil 1963

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:17 PM

Just received my Operating System WinXp Hm service pack 2, Application and Driver recovery discs from HP.
I can't seem to find or figure out how to wipe clean the hard drive using the HP recovery discs so for Clean Install... I get options for new installation,but than get a warning about installing a second operating system on the same drive. I can do a repair, but feel I should wipe the hard drive clean of virus before going though all of the set up.
I read about the different hard drive wiping systems( Active KillDisc and Darik's Boot and Nuke, but for the life of me I can't quite figure ....if I wipe the drive clean...how will I be able to run the recovery disc?

I'll expain the best I can
Had a virus a few week back ....brought it to a friend and didn't have the HP recovery discs.
He got rid of the partition d drive and just made everything on C drive. He used his version of XP Hm and my windows serial number from the sticker on the machine and did what he could. Now I'd like to start over and try to make my HP Notebook as good as new....now that I have the maunfacture Recovery discs.

Thanks for any help on this subject

Basil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:32 PM

I don't know (I've never had a system using recovery disks/partitions and recovery/restore partitions)...but if that partition which your friend erased...was essential to the recovery/restore process...you may be in for a bad experience.

Hopefully, HP sent you some info on how to use these disks. I suggest that you read it before proceeding.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 April 2009 - 09:45 AM.

#3 Basil 1963

Basil 1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:52 PM

From what I understand the D partition had the operating system on it for recovery without the discs,but I was told it was infected.
I even tryed to make my own recovery disc but they came out infected .....should of made them when the computer was brand new.
I bought and received the recovery discs from HP ,but can't figure out how to wipe the hard drive and do a clean install.
Thought of wiping and killing everything on the hard drive first and than just putting the disc in, but don't know if that would work.
My thinking is if I wipe the hard drive... will dvd player or anything else for that matter work....don't know if the computer would even turn on having nothing on the hard drive.

Edited by Basil 1963, 31 March 2009 - 08:53 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:59 PM

It's worth a phone call and explanation, IMO. I would contact HP.

Louis

#5 Basil 1963

Basil 1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:32 AM

Hi Louis,

Went looking through the discs that I received from HP and there is the Win XP Service pack 2 OS, all the drivers and programs that came with the notebook....looks like everything that is needed. I think if I wipe clean the hard drive clean I could do clean install. After reading a few posts, I could use Active KillDisc to wipe the hard drive clean ....but than I'm uncertain if the cd drive will run.
If all I have to do is place the cd in the drive and boot from Cd and follow all the steps it shouldn't be too bad. I have the windows sticker with key on the bottom of my computer. Hope someone can fill me in on this idea...HP is not the easiest to get through to.

Thanks
Basil

#6 837837_ca

837837_ca

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:07 PM

The HP Recovery set of disks may contain a Boot / Installation Cd. Booting up with this Cd should provide a menu selection for a Factory install, or a driver or application installation. Performing a factory install will auto partition and format your hard drive followed by installation of drivers and software. This will set the unit to an "out of the box" condition.

If no Boot / Install CD was provided, then a WinXP Home Cd will be in the set. Booting with this will offer a selection for fresh install, a parallel install (installation of Windows into another folder) or a repair install (this one is different from a console repair... not applicable to your situation). Select fresh install-->select to delete partition-->select quick NTFS format then follow XP instructions after files are loaded and system is configured. U will then need to use the Driver & applications CDs to setup the hardware and the software that originally came loaded in your system. Good Luck!

#7 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:42 PM

Hi,

HP do put a recovery partition on their notebooks, this partition has all the info for creating the recovery disks.

If you format the hard drive (wipe it using the hard drive manufacture's tool) then run the disks it will take your machine back to how it was when you recieved it.

Be mindful it will be filled with all of hp bloat-ware though.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#8 Basil 1963

Basil 1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:36 AM

If no Boot / Install CD was provided, then a WinXP Home Cd will be in the set. Booting with this will offer a selection for fresh install, a parallel install (installation of Windows into another folder) or a repair install (this one is different from a console repair... not applicable to your situation). Select fresh install-->select to delete partition-->select quick NTFS format then follow XP instructions after files are loaded and system is configured. U will then need to use the Driver & applications CDs to setup the hardware and the software that originally came loaded in your system. Good Luck!

Hi 837837,

Your second example seems like my choice. When I select fresh install ....don't get the option to delete partition...I get warning that there is already a version of the operating system and installing a second version is not recommended.

So I'm back to wiping the hard drive clean question.

1. If I wipe the hard drive clean incluiding the operating system (WinXP hm) as to perform clean install.

Will the dvd/cd drive still funtion so I can boot with the HP CD.

I'll explain ...I don't know if any hardware device ( DVD/CD, Keyboard, Display, ) works with a blank hard drive...I've never built computer from scratch. I don't have an understanding if there are things builted into a hardware device that will allow it to work as long as there is voltage getting to it.

Thanks
Basil

#9 837837_ca

837837_ca

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:22 PM

"Your second example seems like my choice. When I select fresh install ....don't get the option to delete partition...I get warning that there is already a version of the operating system and installing a second version is not recommended."

Basil

Correct me if I my assumption is wrong:

-You are installing WinXP from the Desktop?
-You selected New Installation (not Upgrade...this may not be available with OEM's)
-You provided a valid XP key code (XP sticker)

or

Are you booting directly from the Win XP and getting this message?
Starting up from the CD will allow you to "wipe" your HD by deleting the partition and formatting.

On WinXP CD, the folder i386 contain the files XP will use to setup your computer for basic usage i.e. video, kb, mouse, dvd, usb, network maybe. You will then use the HP drivers CD to install or optimize the network card - video - audio etc. You use the Applications CD to install the programs that HP provided with this system.

Using either method will result in a usable system.

BTW in the original post, you mentioned having performed a clean install of WinXP. If it is OK, then installing with the Drivers & Applications cds' should have your system set essentially back to factory configuration

#10 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:47 PM

Even with a blank HDD you can still use keyboard, mouse and optical drives. Make sure you are putting the cd in when you go to boot/turn on the machine, it should come up with "press any key to install windows" while it is starting up.

If you don't see that message, get into the BIOS of your computer (look at your manual), this varies from machine to machine but is generally the "delete" key near "Home" and "Insert", or you should try the "F1" key.

When in the BIOS check the boot order, make sure cd/dvd is above hdd.

then reboot the machine, this time you should see the message "press any key to install windows"... simply follow the prompts, this should allow you to wipe the hdd and install a fresh copy of windows.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#11 Basil 1963

Basil 1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:18 PM

Hi 837837 ca,

I'll try to explain the best I can.

I have Hp Pavilion dv5120us notebook PC,
Disc one Operating System Cd Contain software and drivers already installed.
For Software reinstallation and repair only

Disc two Application and Driver Recovery DVD
Contains software and drivers already installed.
For software reinstallation and repair only

1. I want to clean, wipe, erase, my hard drive so I do not have any virus. trojan , or anything else that can cause future problems. I have never done a complete hard drive clean, wipe ,earse in my life. I'm planing on downloading Active KillDisc or anything else that you may recommend ....I just want to start with a clean drive and a clean install of WinXP HM.

2. After the Drive has been cleaned, wiped, erased I would like to insert the Hp Disc that I bought and (it does have the i386 folder ) Now I'm confused if this disc can install a fresh copy of WinXp or if it needs to have Xp on the the machine and can only do a reair....because the repair is not working correctly.

Turn on the computer and boot from disc ,hit any key inorder to get the blue windows screen ......the screen that has the different options.....I just don't know if after clean,wiping,erase if the dvd/cd drive will work. My thinking is ...how can a dvd/cd drive work without drivers that were on the hard drive.

3. By having nothing on the hard drive I can than choose Install new version of WinXp and start over.

???

#12 Basil 1963

Basil 1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:30 PM

Even with a blank HDD you can still use keyboard, mouse and optical drives. Make sure you are putting the cd in when you go to boot/turn on the machine, it should come up with "press any key to install windows" while it is starting up.

If you don't see that message, get into the BIOS of your computer (look at your manual), this varies from machine to machine but is generally the "delete" key near "Home" and "Insert", or you should try the "F1" key.

When in the BIOS check the boot order, make sure cd/dvd is above hdd.

then reboot the machine, this time you should see the message "press any key to install windows"... simply follow the prompts, this should allow you to wipe the hdd and install a fresh copy of windows.

KamakaZ,

That's great news about having the display,keyboard, mouse and optical drive work with a cleaned, wiped , erased drive.

1. Do you have a recommention method of hard drive clean, wipe, erase?

2. How long would it take to clean, wipe erase a 100 Gb Dive ?

3. Does it have to be formatted ?

???

#13 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:51 PM

There is an option when you install windows, from memory i think it says something like press "d" to delete the partition or something, this is given when you are asked where do you want to install windows (which HDD).

It takes a few seconds to erase the HDD, although at this stage it is not formatting the hdd, all it does is remove the partition tables. When you get further along in installing windows it format's the partition you told it to install in anyway.

here is a step-by-step guide to installing windows: http://www.getpcmemory.com/microsoft/how-t...allation-of-xp/

Note: at step 4 you will have to press "d" to delete your partition, then just follow the guide again...

Edited by KamakaZ, 02 April 2009 - 06:01 PM.

#14 Basil 1963

Basil 1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:02 PM

KamakaZ,

I havn't seen that option and at this time the hard drive isn't partitioned.
Still looking and reading about Nuke and Boot and Active KillDisc..could take 8 or more hours to wipe the drive ...don't know

Thanks for the help.
Basil

#15 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:13 PM

do you know what type of HDD is in it?

Search for a program called partition magic, if you can't find it let me know. when you get it use it to delete all the partitions.

After that is done, try to install windows again.

EDIT: the HDD drive is partitioned, it will be partitioned into one big partition that takes up the whole drive.

Edited by KamakaZ, 02 April 2009 - 06:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users