Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not install or uninstall programs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lowerforty

lowerforty

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:00 PM

:flowers: This problem started at the end of Dec.2008 At the time I was running Panda Internet Security 2008. When I would go online the Antivirus would turn itself off. This went on until March 15 2009 when Panda expired.
I sent many email to panda with no reply. So on another forum they first had me run Super Anti Spyware, Malwarebytes. And hiJack This logs. found nothing.
Then they had me run CClean found nothing Then ComboFix found nothingSo they felt I was clean.
Two days ago I purchased Panda Global Portection 2009 Placed disk in computer and autorun would not work. Got file to run and it came up with there are traces of old installations these files need to be removed first . And it had a box to remove these files now please restart your computer I have done that over ten times so far . And each time I try to load Panda the same message comes up about trace files .
Went to another forum and they asked me to run all of the above log again did so but when thay ask me to run Combofix we had a problem. ComboFix after downloading came up with error message (You can not rename ComboFix) . That is when I remembered I had downloaded it before but at the time I ran the uninstaller. Will now I can not run it or uninstall it.
Each time I uninstall it if I restart my computer for anything it comes back. So I turned off system restore and tryed it that way and once the computer was restarted it was back. Tryed file ASSASSIN by Malwarebyters same thing happens after restart it is back.
The reason for all of this is I have no Antivirus running . Tryed all of the following and each one had some type of problem. Window Live One AntiVirus would not update, Kaspersky would block my ISP, Protect Pro flag all of the following as a virus and removed them. Malwarebytes, Super AntiSpyware, Microsoft Works, Half of my photos,FWI Fraud Watch International,and others good thing on some I have licences and others backup cds. F-secure downloaded for 2 and a half hours (I am running dual-up) and then said system needs to restart to download file when computer restarted files was lost. ESET had me wait 6 days before they sent a licence so I could download it.Did not wait that long.
AVG the one everyone has said is free kept taking me to a page that said it would cost $9.95 a month.
Looked at some others but one of them would of taken 13 hours to download.
So right now nothing will download and run and nothing that is on this computer will uninstall.
Got any ideas on what I screwed up .
And now on April 1 there is to be some virus going around. I think I will set my computer to read April 2 for the first. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:33 PM

AVG Free
http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Fr...4-10320142.html

To uninstall Combofix:
Go to start > run and copy and paste or type next command in the field then hit enter:

ComboFix /u

Note: There's a space between Combofix and /

Panda uninstaller.exe
http://www.epcdoctor.com/panda/software/uninst08.exe
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 lowerforty

lowerforty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:56 AM

Thanks for getting back to me . Panda emailed me and the problem that I was having was that I was running the Panda Uninstaller 08 . They said I needed to run Panda uninstaller 09 and that fixed the problem.
As for using combofix /u it gives error program can not be found . But when I type in search for combofix I get C:\Doucments and Setting \Combofix.
But now after running the Panda uninstaller 09 combofix is gone. And it will be the last time I ever place ComboFix on this computer.
In the Panda uninstaller they had me remove many files all that were under %temp% and all that were under Prefetch . Then run cmd "netsh winsock rest catalog" and that fixed the problem

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:11 PM

Good to hear
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users