Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it safe to run combofix on the bootcamp partition of Windows XP (mac)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 djvic87

djvic87

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:14 PM

I don't know if this post belongs here but here it goes. Is it safe to run combofix under the windows partition (bootcamp) on an Intel Macbook pro? I was just wondering if it is possible. I don't want to screw anythig up. Please let me know, thank you very much.

Basically what I am trying to do is scan a hard drive that I took out from a Dell machine and connected through a usb hi speed IDE adapter to my macbook pro. I want to run Combofix under the bootcamp partition. Is it safe?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:45 PM

Hi and welcome to BC...

First, I must warn you about the use of ComboFix. Please note to Blue text at the top of this forum.

We need to move you to the HJT forums, but I would like a expert to look at this thread first. Please hold here and someone will be with you shortly.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,461 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:10 AM

The thread can stay here. Combofix will run under Windows emulation. I am not sure if its been tested extensively, but if it looks like windows, acts like windows, and has all the same Windows files, then it should be ok.

I am not very familiar with bootcamp, but if you are running this hard drive under a windows emulation, then combofix will think its running under Windows and should work properly.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:24 AM

Here's an alternative for what we consider a fatal infection(Virut)

The term second environment would apply to your running a fix from the macbook

When you have your 2nd enviroment to work from available.Run Dr Web Cure-IT(updated to most recent database).

You will need Cure-IT to scan every last thing on the infected PC so you will have to configure it to do so because running by default settings it will only run a quick scan(limited coverage).

Every last PE file will need to be disinfected so full scan is the only option!

Once this has been encomplished you will need to run an OS repair install to get OS integrity restored.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users