Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hide_evr2.sys virusremoval.vbs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hydronium1

Hydronium1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:11 PM

Hello,

I am running Vista SP1. Over the last week I have noticed slowdowns. I have Symantec Endpoint Protection installed on the computer. When I run a "Full Scan" within the first 5 minutes, it pauses for about 10-20 seconds on the following files:

c:\windows\hide_evr2.sys
c:\windows\9129837.exe
c:\windows\system32\VirusRemoval.vbs
c:\windows\system32\NewVirusRemoval.vbs

It doesn't identify the files as being problematic and continues scanning all my files for 3 hours, finding nothing.

Google searches identify these files as possible viruses.

The files aren't showing up in windows explorer when I browse to those folders.

How can I tell if I am infected?

Thanks,
Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:57 PM

Let's try a few things...

The process of cleaning your computer may require temporarily disabliling some security programs. If you are using SpyBot Search and Destroy, please refer to Note 2 at the bottom of this page.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note:
-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Note 2:
-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes. To disable these programs, please view this topic: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Hydronium1

Hydronium1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:24 PM

Rigel,

Many thanks for your kind help. I followed your instructions exactly and Malwarebytes did not identify anything. After, I reactivated Symantec and again ran a full scan. In the first five minutes while it is "Scanning memory, loadpoints, and security risks..." it pauses for about 20 seconds at the files:

c:\windows\hide_evr2.sys
c:\windows\9129837.exe
c:\windows\system32\VirusRemoval.vbs
c:\windows\system32\NewVirusRemoval.vbs

but ... it doesn't identify them as problems and continues on to my 500,000 files.

Thanks!
Mike

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.35
Database version: 1927
Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

3/31/2009 8:09:18 PM
mbam-log-2009-03-31 (20-09-18).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 75968
Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 52 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:34 PM

Let's see what Jotti says about the files...

Please submit them for review to Jotti's and post the results for each file.

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 Hydronium1

Hydronium1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:49 PM

Hi Rigel,

Thanks again for the great help.

The thing is that the files don't show up in Windows Explorer -- my folders options are set to view hidden and system files -- but they don't show up. Thus, I can't upload them to Jotti. Symantec thinks it is scanning those files but they don't seem to be there. Maybe that is why the Symantec is pausing for about 20 seconds at each of the files... because it can't find them. I know some malware can be very deceptive and hide itself so I don't know if that is the case here or if my Symanetc is seeing something I am not or if the Symantec is seeing an old file or what. Spybot doesn't find anything. What do you think?

Thanks,
Mike

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:57 AM

Let's try an on-line scanner to verify Symantec's findings.

Please perform a scan with Eset Onlinescan (NOD32).
(Requires Internet Explorer to work. If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
Vista Users be sure to run Internet Explorer as Administrator. To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.)
  • You will see the Terms of Use. Tick the check-box in front of YES, I accept the Terms of Use
  • Now click Start.
  • You may receive an alert on the address bar that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Insall ActiveX component.
  • A new window will appear asking "Do you want to install this software?" (OnlineScanner.cab)".
  • Answer Yes to install and download the ActiveX controls that allows the scan to run.
  • Click Start. (the Onlinescanner will now prepare itself for running on your pc)
  • To do a full-scan, check: "Remove found threats" and "Scan potentially unwanted applications"
  • Press Scan to start the online scan. (this could take some time to complete)[/color]
  • When the scan has finished, it will show a screen with two tabs "overview" and "details" and the option to get information or buy software. Just close the window.
  • Now click Start > Run... > type: C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • The scan results will open in Notepad.
  • Copy and paste the log results in your next reply.
Note: Some online scanners will detect existing anti-virus software and refuse to cooperate. You may have to disable the real-time protection components of your existing anti-virus and try running the scan again. If you do this, remember to turn\ them back on after you are finished.

#7 Hydronium1

Hydronium1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:23 PM

Hi Rigel,

Thanks, again.

I ran the ESET scan. It didn't generate a report but it says "No threats found." Files scanned 811566. Threats found: 0.

I triple checked the Symantec and it still thinks it is scanning those files (see previous posts). For the first 10 minutes of the Symantec scan, it seems to be jumping around from directory to directory pretty quickly, almost like its looking at the collection of files specified in some Windows startup file. Later, Symantec scans file by file, directory by directory in a rational way for many hours. So I am wondering if in hte first part of the scan, Symantec is seeing a reference to "hide_evr2.sys" and "9129837.exe" in some Windows startup file... but maybe the files aren't there? What do you think?

Thanks,
Mike

#8 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:57 PM

Hide is an bad file: hide_evr2.sys

Let's check for a rootkit.
Please download gmer.zip and save to your desktop.
  • Extract (unzip) the file to its own folder such as C:\Gmer. (Click here for information on how to do this if not sure.)
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security program drivers will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled.
  • Double-click on gmer.exe to start the program.
  • Allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • You may be prompted to scan immediately if GMER detects rootkit activity.
  • If you are prompted to scan your system click "Yes" to begin the scan.
  • If not prompted, click the "Rootkit/Malware" tab.
  • On the right-side, all items to be scanned should be checked by default except for "Show All". Leave that box unchecked.
  • Select all drives that are connected to your system to be scanned.
  • Click the Scan button to begin. (Please be patient as it can take some time to complete)
  • When the scan is finished, click Save to save the scan results to your Desktop.
  • Save the file as gmer.log and copy/paste the contents in your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.

#9 Michal Cihelka

Michal Cihelka

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:10 AM

Hi Mike,

It appears as if you have nothing to worry about, as far as malware is concerned that is.

When you observed Symantec Endpoint Protection scanning files such as VirusRemoval.vbs and 9129837.exe it wasn't actually scanning these files, it was just searching for their existance. Had it found them, it certainly would have dealt with them and told you so.

If you could slow down the scanning speed you would observe a whole bunch of other files being searched for that also do not exist on your system. For example, you'd see noskrnl.sys, amac.exe, cp32.dll, etc., all of which are known malware files.

Why scanning appears to take so long when searching for certain exploits is a good question, someone with knowledge in anti-malware software development would probably have a good answer to that.

In any case, the general slowdown of your PC you mention will almost certainly be due to other reasons (badly behaving or resource-hungry software running in the background, fragmented files on your hard disk, insufficient cooling causing the CPU to throttle down... it can be really tricky finding the true cause!)

M

Edited by Michal Cihelka, 08 January 2010 - 08:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users