Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lap-top stucked in "windows is starting up"

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 tjforever

tjforever

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:29 PM

"]Hello!!
First of all, thanks to everyone who welcome me to the forum.
Here is my problem. I have a Laptop Toshiba Satellite A65-S126. I was recently browsing the internet. A pop up ad from an antivirus showed up in my screen telling me I was infected and I should scan my compute. I have my antivirus protection from my internet provider (COX Communcations). I tried to close the pop up but it did start to scan my computer by itself. I decided to turn my computer off and reboot an I did so. since then, it is stucked in the screen "windows is starting up".
I have tried safe mode, but all the Os options re-send me to start windows normally and so on.
I do have the original recovery disk, but nothing happen when I insert it. I have some files that I would like to recover, if it where possible; but I'll be fine if I could reinstall the windows OS. I am not shure about how much memory available it had at that moment, but I had recently installed a new memory pack.
I fear I'm not too familiar to computer staff, but I hope what I described can lead to some help. Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:20 PM

I do have the original recovery disk, but nothing happen when I insert it

There is another option to try first. This option and reinstalling the OS with recovery CD's require you to change the boot order in the BIOS
To access the BIOS, when you first turn on your computer and you see the initial black and white screen, Start tapping the Delete key
You use the Arrow keys to move around the BIOS options
More BIOS info here:
http://burks.brighton.ac.uk/burks/pcinfo/h..._sg/bios_sg.htm

First

I have not tried this personally yet, but I've heard some good things about
Are you able to burn a CD on another machine?
Download the Dr Web Live CD
http://www.freedrweb.com/livecd
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 tjforever

tjforever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:38 PM

Thank You garmanma!
I just did the two options. I had ot succsess. I tried to access BIOS the way You told me. I turned it on and start tapping the Delete key and the only thing new I noticed it was five "dings" and then went to the same "windows is starting up".
I also downloaded and burned Dr web antivirus, but can't run it becouse it is still stuck :thumbsup:

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:25 PM

Delete is usually the key but it can also be F2
Read this guide from Dell
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...lang=en&cs=
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 tjforever

tjforever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:27 PM

Thanks again!
None of the options from Dell works on my Toshiba. F2 take it to dothe same sound. I tried Fn+F1, Fn+Esc. Nothing.
The sound I hear fron the computer seems like an alarm. Is it possible that something is damaged permanently?

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:01 PM

I had recently installed a new memory pack.

That could be the cause of your alarm
-----------------------------------

For Toshiba notebook PCs manufactured since the introduction of Windows XP, one or more of the following methods will be effective:

Toshiba Hardware utility method: Run the Toshiba Hardware utility from the Toshiba Console. It is also accessible (as 'HWSetup') from the Windows Control Panel. This utility provides a relatively user-friendly way to change the CMOS settings. Changes to some of the settings will require re-starting the PC (along with re-starting Windows). This method is the only way to access the CMOS settings on some of the newer notebook PCs (Satellite 5000 series, for example). (For these machines, pressing and holding the F12 key immediately after powering-on the notebook will allow you to alter the notebook's boot priority.)

If the notebook is fully off, and/or to avoid having to re-start it (and Windows), use one or the other of the following two methods. The PC will have to be truly off (not suspended, or in standby mode, or in hibernation mode). If an external keyboard is attached to the notebook (either directly or via a docking station or a port-replicator), disconnect it until you have completed this procedure.

F2 key method: Turn the notebook on. If you see an invitation to press the F2 key to enter Setup, do so. The Setup screen will appear.

Esc key method: Turn the notebook on. If you do not see a prompt to press the F2 key, then immediately press and hold the Esc key. When prompted to, press the F1 key. The Setup screen will appear.

For Toshiba notebook PCs manufactured before the introduction of Windows XP, one or more of the following methods are appropriate:

HWSetup method: Run the HWSetup utility from the Windows Control Panel. This utility provides a relatively user-friendly way to change the CMOS settings. Changes to some of the settings will require re-starting the PC (and Windows). HWSetup was pre-installed on all but early Toshiba notebook models. If it doesn't appear as a Control Panel applet on your notebook, you may be able to download it from the Toshiba Support website as part of the Toshiba Utilities package for your model.

Esc key method: If an external keyboard is attached to the notebook, either directly or via a docking station or a port-replicator, disconnect it. Turn the notebook on. Immediately press and hold the Esc key. When prompted to, press the F1 key. The Setup screen will appear. The PC will have to be truly off (not suspended, or in standby mode, or in hibernation mode) for this method to work.

TSETUP method: Run the TSETUP utility, under MS-DOS. TSETUP runs correctly only when executed from a 'native' MS-DOS prompt, and with the processor running in real mode -- so not from a Windows 'DOS box', and without any memory manager software
running (EMM386.EXE, HIMEM.SYS, or QEMM386.EXE, for example). TSetup was pre-installed on most early Toshiba notebook models (except for the very earliest models). It is available from the Toshiba Support website.

toshiba support

Edited by garmanma, 08 April 2009 - 07:01 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#7 tjforever

tjforever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:56 PM

Unfortunatelly I ca not go beyond the screen "windows is starting up"; I do not have access to any of the comands.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:42 PM

Let me ask some questions and I'll get back with you
Mark
Posted Image

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:20 PM

Are you sure you cannot enter Setup by following one of these 2 methods?

If the notebook is fully off, and/or to avoid having to re-start it (and Windows), use one or the other of the following two methods. The PC will have to be truly off (not suspended, or in standby mode, or in hibernation mode). If an external keyboard is attached to the notebook (either directly or via a docking station or a port-replicator), disconnect it until you have completed this procedure.

F2 key method: Turn the notebook on. If you see an invitation to press the F2 key to enter Setup, do so. The Setup screen will appear.

Esc key method: Turn the notebook on. If you do not see a prompt to press the F2 key, then immediately press and hold the Esc key. When prompted to, press the F1 key. The Setup screen will appear.

I spoke with some of our experts and they believe that you need to install the Recovery Console. Since this is a Toshiba, I'm assuming that you do not have a retail Windows disk.
This link will tell you how to create a Recovery Console CD w/userinit, which I believe is what you need

http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?s...amp;#entry31907
Mark
Posted Image

#10 tjforever

tjforever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

Hi Garmanma!!
I'm sorry, I've not able to use a compuer latelly, that's whi I had not answer yet.
Unfortunatelly I can not install any program since I can not go beyond "windows is starting up".
I tryed advanced set up and using one of the options I had a screen showing som info. Hope can be helpful.
"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
A process or thread crucial to system operation had unexpectedly exited or beeing terminated.
If this is the firs time you've seen this stop eror screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow this steps..
Check to make shure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows update you might need.
If problems continue, disable or remove any newly insalled hardware or software, disable bios memory options such caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your comuter, press f8 to select advanced start options, and then select safe mode.
TECHNICAL INFORMATION.
***Stop. 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x835D8464, 0x80604418)
Beginning dump of phisical memory
Phisical memory dump complete
Contact your system administrator or thechnical support group for further assistance."
Irestarted my computer an a new screen appear.
"we apologize for the inconvinience but windows did not start successfully.......if a previous start attempt due to a power failure or becouse the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren't shure what caused the problem, choose start windows normally"
An resendme to the same "windows is starting up" :thumbsup:

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:44 PM

If you cannot change the boot order for the disk drive, there is really nothing I can do to help you
Try posting in our Hardware section where more people will see your problem and maybe have some answers
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/
Good Luck
Mark
Posted Image

#12 tjforever

tjforever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:14 PM

I'll do that. Tks.

#13 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:29 PM

Moved to the Internal Hardware forum at the request of the user.

#14 ACS Data Recovery

ACS Data Recovery

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:58 AM

If you are comfortable removing the drive, you may want to look at using a program like R-Studio to get the important data off the drive. As cheap as drives are, I wouldn't even take a chance on reusing the one you have. Just get a new one to be sure, and reinstall the OS on that.
Greg
Doing THIS For A Living

#15 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

Greg
That was a very informative video
Nice job
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users