Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix issue? or a new nasty virus?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 flettera

flettera

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:59 PM

Hello all,

First let me say that I have used ComboFix successfully many times, and it is a great tool.

Yesterday, I encountered an issue. I ran the utility, and received a popup saying that mscytijvv.dll was attempting to connect to combofix, and it would be disabled. Combofix renamed the file to mscytijvv.dll.vir, and attempted to continue. Then a barrage of popups began to appear, telling me that for each utility combofix tried to run, it could not find mscytijvv.dll! I promptly stopped combofix from running.

I encountered the same issue on a second, different PC today.

Is this a new nasty that is out there?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:22 PM

Unfortunately the author of the tool does not want information on how Combofix works on public forums.
Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

The only public information that is available can be found at this guide:

How to use ComboFix
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:56 PM

In addition, ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert." It is NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Running ComboFix by yourself is like performing open heart surgery on yourself--the scalpel and other surgical tools that is ComboFix is meant to be wielded by a highly trained surgeon only in emergencies or dire circumstances. When the surgeon is thru s/he leaves the room. So combofix should be removed from a system once it has accomplished its job, unlike an AV that is there to protect you from future infections.

. . . CF does make some alterations to your system if you run it. Even if you had no malware removed and run the uninstall command, some things may be different now on your system. I can tell you that one thing is that all your restore points will be flushed out and a new one created. There is a good reason to do that when you have a severe infection--but if you aren't infected you might need those restore points.

Read and abide by the disclaimer people. It's there for a reason. Stick to running and protecting yourself with a good AV and firewall and an anti-malware scanner or two. If you feel you need a second opinion, try running online scans. If you feel you might need surgery, come here to BC and ask for help--that is what we're here for.

From: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1159014

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users