Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

failproof sequence of scans

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ackermbe

ackermbe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:33 PM

I would like ot put together a list of scanning tools to us to clean an infected system. I would also like to know the proper sequence of scans to use.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:08 AM

There is no such thing.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

NOTE: Some malware infections are difficult to remove completely and may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them. After a security vendor updates their program version or definition databases, it is not uncommon for subsequent scans to find more malicious files which had previously gone undetected by prior scans.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Carpetsmoker

Carpetsmoker

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:46 PM

There is no such thing.

+1

I have good experience using this method, it's not fool-proof, but this works more than 90% of the time:

o Start Windows, normal if possible, safe mode if not.
o Run task manager, and KILL KILL KILL all non-Windows processes.
o Using SysInternals Autoruns, disable all boot entries which aren't needed (Usually MS stuff + stuff like HP printer, antivirus, etc.) -- This may also make the system significantly faster depending on specs and entries.
o Install & run SpyBot S&D.
o Install & run Malwarebytes' anti-malware.
o Install & run AVG.
o Update Windows (If needed).

I typically leave SpyBot and MBAM on the system, it doesn't run in the background so why not, remove AVG if another (Working!) virus scanner is already installed.

Edited by Carpetsmoker, 01 April 2009 - 06:47 PM.

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.

#4 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:18 PM

I would like ot put together a list of scanning tools to us to clean an infected system. I would also like to know the proper sequence of scans to use.

May one ask the computer OS

If the computer in question is already infected, what symptoms is it giving you ?

What currently is the installed antivirus program and what other protection programs have you (or do you think you have ) got on it, if any ?

#5 Carpetsmoker

Carpetsmoker

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:30 PM

If the computer in question is already infected, what symptoms is it giving you ?

Hmmm....

I would like ot put together a list of scanning tools to us to clean an infected system.

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:45 AM

ackermbe please confirm if your computer is infected or not. If so, this thread will be moved to a more appropriate forum to get you assistance. I interpreted your original post as a general question on procedures for cleaning an infected computer.

#7 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:17 AM

Ok so I have been running servers for over 4 years now, I have gone to college for computers, except at the age of 17 I didn't take college that serious and dropped out right after I turned 18... Anways.. I have been spyware free, and virus free, for about 6 years... Every time something tries to install, it is stopped automatically...
I use Avast for anti-virus, it is great it includes a firewall/network scanner, p2p scanner, browser scanner, email scanner, instant messenger scanner, plus it slowly but surely scans every file on the computer without needing to do a scan... It also includes an Outlook Express scanner (though I don't use it cause I never use Outlook)...
I also use Adaware AE, which it removes more then just malware, spyware, and cookies...
I also use CCleaner...
I have been using all of those for a good 6 years now...
But one of the best ways to stay safe on the net... Don't use Windows... Use linux... Avast also has a linux version as well too so that works for me..
Edit: The Avast scanners are always on by the way...

Edited by burn1337, 03 April 2009 - 07:19 AM.

#8 ackermbe

ackermbe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:38 AM

Sorry that I have not been back for awhile. I don't have a currently infected computer, but have had issues in the past with computers I have worked on. I was just looking for a set of scanning tools that would be a "first line of defense". I know there isn't any one tool, or combination of tools that will get everything. I am just looking for some suggestions for good tools to get me on the right track for virus/malware issues.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 03:47 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware Free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users