Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix copyright & GPL violation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Carpetsmoker

Carpetsmoker

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:26 PM

Title says it all, the application known as `ComboFix', which is developed by bleepingcomputer (As far as I can tell) violates the GPL (v2) license and copyright.

Not wanting to trust an undocumented `black box', wanted to examine what ComboFix actually does before letting it loose on my system, ComboFix.exe is a self-extracting archive which unpacks in C:\ComboFix\.
Among other things, it packs a number of executables, renamed to *.cfexe.

Some of these tools (including, but not limited to, tail.cfexe, sed.cfexe, grep.cfexe, gsar.cfexe) are GPL licensed, the GPL license clearly states that the source must be distributed with the binaries, there is no source to be found anywhere, nor is a copy of the GPL to be found, which is also required.
Other restrictions may also apply.

Looking further I also noticed ComboFix also violated the license for NirCMD, the license requires *all* files in the distribution package to remain together (To quote: ``you must include all files in the distribution package'').

Other files/executables may also be in copyright violation, I did not check every file.
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:55 PM

Bleeping Computer is not the creator of Combofix

Unfortunately the author of the tool does not want information on how Combofix works on public forums.
Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

The only public information that is available can be found at this guide:

How to use ComboFix
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Carpetsmoker

Carpetsmoker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:16 PM

Unfortunately the author of the tool does not want information on how Combofix works on public forums.

So noted, and I will not post any information on these forums.

Bleeping Computer is not the creator of Combofix

All right, bleepingcomputers is used in many places, in fact, it's even mentioned in the disclaimer and for submitting malware so I figured the author(s) are from bleepingcomputer.
Regardless, bleepingcomputer is responsible for distributing software, saying ``I didn't write it'' doesn't exonerate bleepingcomputer.

Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

The only public information that is available can be found at this guide:

How to use ComboFix

I'm not sure what this has to do with copyright violations?
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.

#4 Carpetsmoker

Carpetsmoker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:23 PM

Reading forum rules (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/boardrules.php):
``The posting of any copyrighted material on our web site is strictly prohibited.''

:-/

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:49 PM

Hi Carpetsmoker,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I have alerted the author to this and all licensing issues should be resolved, if not already resolved, at this point.

I see from other posts of your on other forums that you have GPL experience, so feel free to shoot me a private message if you see anything that we may have left out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users