Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem installing Visual Studio .Net

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nawin_g

nawin_g

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:37 AM

hi,

let me first describe my system.

i have windows xp professional edition installed on my system. i have a 40GB harddisk, 256MB RAM and 1.20Ghz P4 processor.

my harddisk is partitined into 2 drives. one with 4Gb(C:) and other 36GB(D:).

4GB partition has Windows XP installed in it. write now i have installed few softwares in C: and have only 212MB left on it.(after deleting the unnessary files and clearing up the TEMP folder and Temporary Internet FIles).

now i want to install Visual Studio .NET 2003. i have changed the installation path from Program FIles directory to D:\.......

i have enogh space in D:\ (more than 20 GB)
Now the Setup says place might not be sufficient.

after changing the path:
It shows Drive C (FULL) Used Space (4.1 Gb) Free Space (-237 MB)
Drive D Used Space (19.9 Gb) Free Space (13.3 Gb)

rite now there is only 217 Mb in C: that means the temporary extracted files are begin copied to the C: before installing in D: (i suppose).

so will changing the default c:\documents and settings\user\local settings\temp folder solve this probelm? if Yes, what should i edit in my registry to change the location to a folder in D:?

if not how can i install Visual Studio .NET 2003 in D: without this space problem. i cannot further delete files from my C: drive.

thanking in anticipation.

PS: plz also say how to change the default temp directory in registry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2005 - 06:42 AM

Hello nawin_g

rite now there is only 217 Mb in C: that means the temporary extracted files are begin copied to the C: before installing in D: (i suppose).

Thats right. When you try to install Visual Studio .NET 2003 on D:, Windows needs the swap file space on C: to do that. Microsoft recommends your swap file to be at least 1.5 times your ram, which you may not have. You may be able to overcome this problem by moving your swap file (virtual memory) to your D: partition as Windows will use this area to expand and install programs. You will definitely get better performance as 256MB of ram is really not a whole lot for XP.

Have a look at How To Move the Paging File in Windows XP. Depending on the size of the swap file, at least that much space will be freed up on C:. At the end of the day though, you really need to free up more space on the C: drive.

Edited by Leurgy, 15 June 2005 - 06:45 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 nawin_g

nawin_g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:01 PM

thnk u 4 ur reply.

i am trying 2 change the swap file. hoping it would wrk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users