Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Undetected Hard Drive (Sometimes)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 IamBatman

IamBatman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:22 AM

At random times when I am using my computer, it will suddenly freeze. I restart it, only to find out in the BIOS that the hard drive is not detected. I have to fiddle around and restart a few more tiems to get it to be detected so I can run it as the primary master. I don't know why it randomly goes undetected, although I did just install two sticks of 128MB PC2700 RAM(The right RAM for my computer). It may have something to do with me now using Dual Channel RAM, or so it would seem. I do not understand though, my computer often freezes - when before it never did. Does anyone know what could be happening that would make my hard drive undetected randomly every once in a while like this?
I have 768 MB of RAM(now), a AMD 2600+, an Nvidia Geforce FX 5500 256 MB Ram, and Windows XP - if that helps. Oh and my hard drive is a 120 GB Maxtor that has never had problems before. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:37 AM

Hello IamBatman and welcome to BC.

I would suspect that when you installed the ram you somehow made the hard drive cable loosen up. Go back in there and and check that the cable is properly seated at both ends. The fact that it is not detected in the bios sometimes would tend to point to that.

Edited by Leurgy, 15 June 2005 - 07:38 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 loggertene

loggertene

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:58 AM

At random times when I am using my computer, it will suddenly freeze. I restart it, only to find out in the BIOS that the data hard drive is not recovered. I have to fiddle around and restart a few more tiems to get it to be detected so I can run it as the primary master. I don't know why it randomly goes undetected, although I did just install two sticks of 128MB PC2700 RAM(The right RAM for my computer). It may have something to do with me now using Dual Channel RAM, or so it would seem. I do not understand though, my computer often freezes - when before it never did. Does anyone know what could be happening that would make my hard drive undetected randomly every once in a while like this?
I have 768 MB of RAM(now), a AMD 2600+, an Nvidia Geforce FX 5500 256 MB Ram, and Windows XP - if that helps. Oh and my hard drive is a 120 GB Maxtor that has never had problems before. Thanks in advance.

A drive shouldn't die when the computer goes into sleep mode. It's more likely just stuck in sleep mode, there's probably some trick to force it out.

Edited by loggertene, 01 July 2013 - 02:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users