Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New CPU - Strange Problems

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DreamTFK

DreamTFK

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:18 AM

I just installed a new E8400 cpu and I have updated the BIOS but I am getting strange problems. On first boot it told me overclocking failed so I went into setup to check it out and everything was default so I rebooted then the computer just hanged and nothing showed on the screen. It also says the cpu is running at 2.4GHz and the memory is PC-5300 (should be 6400)

I turned the PSU off then on then powered the pc on and got the same error so I pressed F2 to load defaults and then got some strange error about spooler subsystem failed and could not see my desktop then I pressed ok and got a BSOD mentioning Bootvid.dll - I have no idea what to do. My PC worked just fine before I uninstalled my previous cpu (E6600).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:12 AM

Unplug the computer
Press the on button to discharge any stored electricity
Open the case
Locate the jumper to clear the CMOS
Clear the CMOS
You will have to reset the date/time in the BIOS
After you do that load the defaults
[Use "fail safe defaults" if available.]

If you can't locate the jumper to clear the CMOS or are unsure of how to use it refer to the motherboard manual.
If you don't have it you should be able to download it from the manufacturers website.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 DreamTFK

DreamTFK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:50 PM

I will try that since that seems to be the consensus from members on other forums as well - the problems seem quite odd though for just a simple cmos issue. (BSOD's for example)

Edited by DreamTFK, 31 March 2009 - 12:50 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:31 PM

CMOS errors...or a weak/dead CMOS battery...tend to make Windows and the system behave in very uncharacteristic ways, IME.

That's one reason why I tend to suspect the CMOS battery whenever the system spits out various, seemingly unrelated error messages...or acts like a petulant child :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 DreamTFK

DreamTFK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:54 PM

I did pop out the CMOS battery so idk if that had something to do with it. Are they just generic li-ion batteries or do I have to order one?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:47 PM

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...23210652AA9M0D8

Available for less than $5...remove the old one first just to make sure that it has CR2032 imprinted on it...and then you're sure.

Louis

#7 Carpetsmoker

Carpetsmoker

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:22 PM

Which mainboard do you have? Is the E8400 CPU actually supported by the mainboard? Pay attention to BIOS versions since many mainboard manufacturers regularly upgrade mainboard's BIOS's to include support for new CPU's.
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.

#8 DreamTFK

DreamTFK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:26 PM

Problem was not the CMOS battery the problem was that I manually had to set my FSB from 333 to 266 and now it boots just fine but im only getting a cpu speed of 2.4GHz. My P5B Deluxe has a native FSB of 1066 while the E8400 does 1333. However I have been told the FSB on this mobo can OC very easily.

#9 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:42 PM

"I have been told the FSB on this mobo can OC very easily"

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=41
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#10 DreamTFK

DreamTFK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:25 PM

"I have been told the FSB on this mobo can OC very easily"

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=41

Great link thanks!

#11 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:38 PM

You're welcome.

Glad you figured out whay the problem was.

#12 DreamTFK

DreamTFK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:30 AM

Well after trying several combinations of different fsb speeds and memory speeds the only configuration that works is downclocking the fsb to 266 which makes me suspect the memory is the problem here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users