Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Cleaned, still cant access windows update

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kyles609

kyles609

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:31 AM

Hi, I have removed some malware from my Windows XP home sp2 machine. It seems clean but I still cannot access windows update, or any major virus company web sites. My hosts file is clean, but still nothing.

So far I have run Malwarebytes, spybot s&d, super antispyware, hijackthis, and avg all in safe mode. Originally I couldn't get into safe mode, but I used a safeboot registry add to get it to work.

On top of all the scans I have run SDFix, ATFCleaner, and combofix all per instructions on other posts.

I have updated all my antivirus and malware/spyware software manually and it is up to date. (Icouldnt update any other way because the update sites are blocked)

Thanks for the help. I have worked with computers for many years and rarely stumped like this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:41 PM

What happens if you turn off your firewall? Can you access the sites then?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users