Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comodo Internet Security Free

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Roger Stace

Roger Stace

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:29 AM

Hi guys

I have the following product installed on my one computer : Comodo CIS 2009 free. (http://www.comodo.com) which is not a rogue antivirus. I want to know how to set it so that a pop up doesn't occour asking me for an action everytime I install programs, is it normal that it does that or is it a security measure that no malware gets installed by mistake? How do I control what applications are allowed and what are blocked?

Regards

Roger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:51 AM

It is there so that nothing can be installed without you knowing about it. When you get the pop-up, if you know what it is, select 'Installer or Updater' and then say yes to installation mode. You will usually get one other popup to allow and then it will install quietly.

This is necessary to prevent you suffering a drive by download from an infected website, which are very common now.

With CIS nothing unknown can install itself on your system unless you allow it.
James

#3 Roger Stace

Roger Stace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:22 AM

Thanks Guys ,

Thats all I want to know.

From

Roger

#4 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:43 PM

You can also visit the Comodo Forums at the link below and use Kyles configuration tutorials located under Guides on the main CIS board. Setting your protocols as he recommends will drastically reduce the popups.
http://forums.comodo.com/
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:47 PM

I am using CIS and personally, I would not install the antivirus-part. In the install I chose only the firewall-option and it works great. Incidentally there are pop-ups when new applications are trying to make an internet connection, but thats all. If I were you, I would use a different antivirus-program, like Avira. Internet security is nothing more than an antivirus-program and a firewall combined.
However, thats my opinion, so if you still like it, maybe you can find a way to turn off the pop-ups.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#6 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:01 PM

It would be interesting to hear why you would not install the antivirus part now it has so many detections?

There are far less popups if you have that as well as it is an integrated product. I used to use Avira and before that Avast, but I wouldn't consider doing that now.
James

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,252 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:19 PM

I havent heard about the antivirus part of Comodo to be particularly good (when compared to other free software as Avast or Avira). I only wanted a new firewall.
But keep in mind that many popups does not mean its good.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#8 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:53 AM

The point I was trying to make, is that Defense+ runs more quietly with fewer popups in the configuration used with the antivirus installed.

The reason you have not heard much about the antivirus in comparisons is that it is quite new and has not paid to be tested. However it's detection rate now seems to be high., with a definitions list over 2,700,000 as of today.
James

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,252 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:57 AM

James, I think you have confused two posts. The original topic-starter complained about the popups with full CIS installed. I havent the slightest problem with only the firewall installed. But since it is free, also the antivirus part deserves a try. I will see if I can install that one as well, just to see how it works.

regards, Elise

#10 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:18 AM

Hi elise,

You had previously suggested turning off the popups, which would mean turning off the security really, so I was suggesting that fewer popups occur when running the whole thing, as the configuration can be different without reducing the security.

Not sure if you have noticed, but if you press Start, All Programs, Comodo, CIS, you can choose Install or Upgrade to add the antivirus if you would like to try it.
James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users