Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why is the "Speakeasy" Forum

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:41 AM

Did something happen?

Why is the Speakeasy Forum set to "read only"?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:24 AM

If a moderator can confirm, I believe that the forum got out of control. Please keep in mind, the name of the forum is Speak Easy.

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:37 AM

Yeah, I know.

Just wondering if it is a "glitch" in the board

or deliberate Staff action.

If the latter, I'm not either complaining or criticizing, but if the former, I'm just bringing it to someone's attention if it hasn't already.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:32 AM

It was purposely closed while we decide if it is in the interests of BC to keep it.

#5 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:21 PM

I understand how policing a forum such as the Speakeasy could be time consuming and difficult. Many legitimate opinions can seem hurtful to some even if that is not the intent.
If “The Speakeasy” does go away I will say I will miss the thoughtful comments of many members. The more in-depth give and take that occurred there hopefully made many with certain opinions aware of how others could view the same situation but from a different perspective.
My Thoughts
Nawtheasta

#6 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:31 PM

Thank you for that Nawteasta. :thumbsup: We appreciate that sentiment.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#7 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:31 AM

:flowers:

If I may put my 2 cents into this?

The Speakeasy Section clearly states the following before anyone enters it?

The Speak Easy
The Speak Easy is a forum for discussing ethics, morals, laws, philosophy, and other controversial topics. Pretty much anything goes, but keep it civil. All new topics will be approved by the moderators before being seen in the forum. Be warned, topics in this forum will be controversial and not in line with your beliefs. If this is a problem, please do not use this particular subforum.

I did stress the last two Sentences.

Bleeping Computer is now a truely International Forum and on Speakeasy there is a wonderful oppertunity for ALL Races and Creeds to come together and share their often conflicting Views on many Subjects that each feels pasionate about. Mostly is is conducted in a nice and Friendly fashion, but sometimes it does need Moderation, as is to be expected under the circumstances.

I think, personally, that it would be a Sad day for the World if it was removed.

:thumbsup:

#8 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:21 AM

In my opinion,The Speakeasy is an important part of Bleeping where Intelligent Members come together and share opinions.
The problem as I see it is,the Flamers are given too much latitude,before they are dealt with.
A couple of clowns shouldn't be able to spoil it for the rest,because that's what they want to do,and they are winning.
Needs earlier intervention by Moderators.Much harder to correct when it gets to this point.
Saying Moderators are too busy,is a cop out.Get more Moderators who can handle difficult situations. :thumbsup:

#9 Silverishkitten

Silverishkitten

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:25 AM

Awww... :thumbsup: Why don't you bring that forum back? There were a few things I was interested in discussing...

Also... If you have a problemmmoderating, why not appoint a few more, willing and reliable moderators to that forum specifically then?

Forums discussing ethics, politics and whatnot are always gonna be a bit more grungy. But I don't think it's a good solution to close down that voice. Just need to deal with members who take advantage of it :flowers:

But here I am speaking as if I know things, and I'm just a new member. I know you probably had some long discussions about this. But still. Please give it some extra thought =)

#10 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:20 AM

Would a Poll help Staff to their deciscion? Just a Simple yes or No, to let it stay, with more Moderation?

I will Vote Yes for that.

#11 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:49 AM

Awww... :thumbsup: Why don't you bring that forum back? There were a few things I was interested in discussing...

Silverishkitten -

BC has a "sister" site - ThoughtVent where you can discuss lots of stuff.

You might want to try it. You'll find a number of us over there.

Just a thought, I'm really not venting right now.

#12 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:01 AM

I'd just like to put my 2 pence in (Change of words for the saying but as you know we Brits don't use Cents :flowers:)

The problem as I see it is,the Flamers are given too much latitude,before they are dealt with.
A couple of clowns shouldn't be able to spoil it for the rest,because that's what they want to do,and they are winning.

I agree here it just happens to be a few that ruin it, I won't name any names but I'm sure most people who read and posted in that area of the forum have a good idea of who.
I know we can't do anything about the Admins decision but I do hope they take into consideration what the other members contribute to the debates I've seen some good debates and opinions on there and learnt a lot about different peoples opinions from around the world it would be a shame to see it all go.

Also... If you have a problem moderating, why not appoint a few more, willing and reliable moderators to that forum specifically then?

While there is a point here about Mods for that particular part of the forum there is one problem to this, before the section was closed I think it was pretty much Moderated by Groovicus, correct me if I'm wrong? If there did happen to be new Mods specifically for that forum area don't you think more problems would occur?
By this I mean the Mods decision to remove a post or bits of a post could become based on them not liking that particular opinion, because of the different views and opinions from around the world and the way it is worded it can cause problems, not sure if others would see it that way?

Silverishkitten -

BC has a "sister" site - ThoughtVent where you can discuss lots of stuff.

You might want to try it. You'll find a number of us over there.

Just a thought, I'm really not venting right now.

:trumpet:

I did have a quick look around Thoughtvent, but I can't help but notice it seems a bit empty? Members posting seems to be few and far between, having looked the latest posts seem to be around the beginning of this month, then before that the gap is about 2 weeks I think, then it looks to be back to around the end of February if you ask me that is quite empty.

It looks like the Admins are stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment on this matter, again correct me if I'm wrong?

Just my thoughts on the matter.

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:32 AM

Needs earlier intervention by Moderators.Much harder to correct when it gets to this point.
Saying Moderators are too busy,is a cop out.Get more Moderators who can handle difficult situations.

I think it was pretty much Moderated by Groovicus, correct me if I'm wrong? If there did happen to be new Mods specifically for that forum area don't you think more problems would occur?

Having a single moderator was by design and believe me, you have the best man for the job already
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#14 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:54 AM

Hang on? Excuse me?

Having a single moderator was by design and believe me, you have the best man for the job already

How can one Person Moderate a Section that is available 24/7 all around the World?

That just does not compute?

That would always lead to Problems?

:flowers: :trumpet:

#15 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:00 AM

By other users doing some help with moderation if one post may need to be considered or something like that.

....shutting up.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users