Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RDT Trouble

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jeff5100

jeff5100

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:23 AM

I have a problem with Remote Desktop on an XP pro machine. Whenever the machine has been freshly booted I can remote into it using RDT. As long as no one logs into it locally I can always log in remotely. If someone logs in at terminal or locally I cannot log in. The only way is if that user logs out first. If the user has not logged out then I get the prompt for the user name and password and then a black screen for about the time for the screen saver to start then the connection is dropped and I cannot hit the machine again. If there is a user logged in locally and working the machine freezes when I try to login and then has to be hard rebooted. The machine does us nvidia drivers for the display and I have disabled any service that uses them. (or at least I think so) I have at least 9 other computers at this location with similar or same MB and software. This is the only one with the issue. Could anyone give me some insight that may lead to fixing this issue? Thanks for your time and I look forward to solving this.

Jeff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:36 AM

Hi there! :thumbsup: and thank you for using Bleeping Computer as your source of help today.

If I read correctly, you are having difficulty understnading why you cannot log in to an account remotely, while it is still logged in. Is this correct?

The reason this is done, is because the account is protected from multiple logons. This prevents malware to logging in to your account and taking control over your computer. There is no workaround, as this is Windows System Logon Protection.

Does this resolve your issue?

#3 jeff5100

jeff5100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:17 AM

Thanks Jay,

All other machines I work on do not have this issue. Logging in simply removes control from the person at terminal. Most of my users do this at night or when they work from home. I've seen hacks to increase the default amount of sessions (2) allowed by XP but this is not nessesary because it is the same user. I have seen some issues with the memory size for sessions being too small for the extra session and ways to fix this. But I would rather not use 3rd party scripts and hack the registy. There must be a simple explanation.

#4 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:44 PM

Yes, the simple explanation is: without the hacks, and registry bypasses--it is impossible and insecure to multiply logins.

Registry hacks are used to defeat security measures taken by Microsoft.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users