Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS and VIA Chipset advise needed?.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:54 AM

I have just finished reformatting my 6 yr old AMD Athlon XP2400+ PC and ran a scan with Everest Home Edition. I noticed two "Suggestions". One in BIOS and one in Chipset both of which I have posted here. If at all possible I would like to update both of these but being 60yrs old and not particularly PC Knowledgeable I would appreciate some advise on the proper drivers to use. I went to the links provided but to be honest they confused me. Thanks very much for any help offered.

Field Value
North Bridge Properties
North Bridge VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400
Revision 00
Package Type 664 Pin HSBGA
Package Size 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm
Process Technology 0.22 um
Core Voltage 2.5 V
In-Order Queue Depth 4

Memory Controller
Bank Interleave 4-way

Memory Timings
CAS Latency (CL) 3T
RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD) 3T
RAS Precharge (tRP) 3T
RAS Active Time (tRAS) 6T
Command Rate (CR) 1T

Memory Slots
DRAM Slot #1 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)

AGP Controller
AGP Version 2.00
AGP Status Enabled
AGP Device ATI Radeon 7500 (RV200)
AGP Aperture Size 128 MB
Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x
Current AGP Speed 4x
Fast-Write Supported, Disabled
Side Band Addressing Supported, Enabled

Chipset Manufacturer
Company Name VIA Technologies, Inc.
Product Information http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets
Driver Download http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

Problems & Suggestions
Problem Current AGP speed is lower than maximum supported. This may cause performance penalty.

And the other one is.

Field Value
Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 62-1021-009999-00101111-040201-VIA_K7$1AARK204_A6712VMS V1.C 102104
Motherboard Name MSI KT4V (MS-6712)

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 2133 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 200 MHz
Bandwidth 1600 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type VIA V-Link
Bus Width 8-bit
Real Clock 67 MHz (ODR)
Effective Clock 533 MHz
Bandwidth 533 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info
CPU Sockets/Slots 1
Expansion Slots 6 PCI, 1 AGP
RAM Slots 3 DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio
Form Factor ATX
Motherboard Size 210 mm x 300 mm
Motherboard Chipset KT400
Extra Features Fuzzy Logic 4

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name Micro-Star International
Product Information http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mai...ro_mbd_list.php
BIOS Download http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios...pt_bos_list.php
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,450 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:25 AM

I wouldn't suggest you try a BIOS update unless it addresses a known issue you are experiencing. The motherboard chipset drivers (Via 4-in-1) should give you the most benefit.

The drivers can be found here:

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=do...amp;prod_no=505

It's best to be a little cautious about suggestions from analysis utilities, they can be generic, simply based on time for example to say something is "out of date". However Everest is a good utility for the system information it provides.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

Thanks very much for the advice Platypus. I went to the link you provided and from the VIA Chipset 4in1 drivers heading went to the Windows 9X/ME/2000/XP link and clicked on the one under the File Name: VIA 4in1_MBzip. I downloaded the file to my desktop but before I install them I would like a confirmation it is the correct file if that isn't too much trouble.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,450 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:47 AM

Yes, that should be the correct file. It will extract to a folder called VIA, in that folder is the SETUP.EXE file to run to do the installation of the drivers. To be tidy, it's best not to extract the zip also onto the desktop, but choose a more convenient location, but if you're used to using the desktop as your destination, it won't do any harm, as it only creates one folder that you can then open.

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:06 AM

You will think I am daft but how do I install it. I double clicked on the zipped folder and it opened up in a new folder but when I double clicked on that one it opened with about 15 - 20 different files and I became unsure what to do. I had expected it just to automatically install.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:14 AM

In that folder...there should be a file called "setup.exe" or just plain "setup" if you don't have view all file extensions enabled.

Double-click that and the installation should begin.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 31 March 2009 - 08:15 AM.

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:15 AM

You might right click on the zipped folder and extract the files to a location of your choice, and then go to the Setup/EXE. To be honest, updating the chipset drivers might not do a lot for you due to the age of the chipset. Microsoft automatic updates usually download the VIA drivers as well.

As far as the BIOS update, it is not really needed unless you have a problem, or need some added CPU support. KT400 was a solid chipset.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,450 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:25 AM

When you double-click on the .zip, you are just viewing the contents. As dpunisher says, you can right-click on the file and choose the Extract All option, or when you've double-clicked, go the the File menu & choose Extract All from there. Follow the Wizard, and when the files are extracted, go to the VIA folder and run the Setup program.

#9 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:27 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I opened the zip file and cut and pasted the revealed folder into Program Files then double clicked on Setup.exe and it installed without a hitch so thanks again to all.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,450 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:38 AM

Yes, cut/paste will work fine too. There's often several ways to achieve the same end result in Windows, part of its charm. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users