Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reformatting windows

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jl101775

jl101775

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:42 AM

Hi, I am trying to reformat my moms computer. I have done this before so I pretty much know what to do. When I go throught the process of reformatting and reloading windows, it never asks me for the product key. windows just starts up and runs real slow when trying to access certain pages on the internet. I am thinking, reformatting is not wiping the hard drive completely. Is that why it's not asking for the key? please help, it's driving me crazy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:47 AM

Is this a valid microsoft installation CD with license or something that you downloaded? If you are using a genuine XP CD and a doing a fresh installation (not a repair) the installation will not complete without a valid key...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 Smithsam

Smithsam

• Banned
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:45 AM

Are you install the Windows Xp by licenced CD (genius Windows )?
if yes , so you have to install windows XP by format your HDD full ( recreate the partition again )

#4 jl101775

jl101775
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:13 PM

I am using the disk that came with her dell computer. it says operating system on it. i deleted the partition and created a new one and formatted that partition, still when windows comes on the screen it has green dots next to collecting information, dynamic update, and preparing installation, like that was done already and just started right at the installation part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users