Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Right click menu

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,725 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:26 PM

Trying to 'clean up' a very used laptop. The context menu I get when I right click on a file include the option to 'Fax..'. There is no fax utility on this machine and I'd like to get it out of the right click menu. Can someone point me to the right registry key or suggest a utility I can use to edit this menu?
Derfram
~~~~~~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:57 AM

Additions to context menus are provided by shell extensions. I think NirSoft's ShellExView should be able to give you the necessary control:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,725 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:03 AM

Tried ShellExView and ShellMenuView. In neither of them can I find any reference to 'Fax'. It's probably there, I'm just not recognizing it.

Here's a pix of the menu that comes up when I right click on a file. Trying to get rid of the 'Fax...' entry. Fax comes up only on right click of files, not if I right click a folder.

Posted Image
Derfram
~~~~~~

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:29 AM

Hi ddeerrff

What kind of word processing software is on the machine? I'm looking at the two grayed out menu items under the fax one. I'm guessing that it and the other menu items between the seperators belongs to some kind of word processor related program like Word (that I've never used) that might include a Fax feature--instead of it belonging to a dedicated fax utility. Maybe OCR software?

Sorry I can't be more help than that and good luck finding it. Interesting question. :thumbsup:

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,725 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:43 AM

Hey Papakid! Good to hear from my old mentor. Hope things are going OK for you.

What kind of word processing software is on the machine?

Most of Microsoft Works is still there. There had been remnant of a botched 'Office' warez install, but that is as gone as I could make it. May still be some entries in the windows folders.

I'm looking at the two grayed out menu items under the fax one.

That is the name of the file I am right clicking on, and the time/date. The time/date listed is the files 'Last Modified'.

I'm guessing that it and the other menu items between the separators belongs to some kind of word processor related program like Word (that I've never used) that might include a Fax feature--instead of it belonging to a dedicated fax utility. Maybe OCR software?

Certainly can be. When I click on the 'Fax..', it tries to print to a fax, but it dies with a 'program is not responding'. So some remnant is still there but not the whole thing. I'm resolved to not being able to purge -all- the fubar files from this machine, but I would like to get rid of that intry in the context menu.

Derf
Derfram
~~~~~~

#6 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,725 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:19 PM

Found it... sort of.

Used Shellexview to systematically disable each extension (all 224 of them). No joy. Ran across the app "FileMenuTools" and gave that a try. It showed a right click extension of "Toshiba Fax Utility". Tried disabling it via the tool, but still no joy.

That did lead me to further search this hard drive. Found a Toshiba fax utility and the uninstall was still intact. Ran that and the context menu item is gone! Yeah!

Still don't know where it might have been hiding in the registry, but it's gone.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:51 AM

Used Shellexview to systematically disable each extension (all 224 of them).

:thumbsup:

Wow!

Glad you got it resolved anyway :flowers:

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:21 AM

Hi Derfram,

Sorry for my late response and I'm glad you got it sorted too--and figured you would. BTW, as my father would say, I'm doing terribly well, how 'bout yourself?

I was meaning to post back that the only other thing I could think of was to use Bobbi Flekman's RegSearch to try to root it out of the registry--only problem with that would be that using "fax" as a search term would probably return a big list as I believe XP has a fax utility of its own. Plus three letter words could be a problem as well.

Where was the uninstaller--Program Files? App Data? You might be able to search for the file path and find a few more registry entries to clean up.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#9 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,725 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:53 PM

I'm glad you got it sorted too--and figured you would.

You've always given me more credit than I deserve. Thanks.

be that using "fax" as a search term

Yea, lots of occurrences of "Fax" in the registry. The context menu said "Fax...", and I found no occurrences of that in the registry.

Where was the uninstaller

There is still a C:/Prgram Files/Toshiba folder on the machine, and it includes a number of Toshiba utilities that I know are needed (such as the utility to make the Fn key work, a power utility I wanted to keep) and some that I have no idea about. Didn't want to delete something there that I did not understand, so I had left it pretty much intact. Found the fax utility in there, it really was just about staring me in the face.

You take care my friend.

Edited by ddeerrff, 10 April 2009 - 10:41 PM.

Derfram
~~~~~~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users