Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD Drive Acting Wonky

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bachiatari

Bachiatari

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:56 PM

This may be a multiple-issue...well, issue. But I think the hardware's at the root of it, so...

First of all, I have a Gateway M675PRR (Laptop) with Windows XP, SP3, and WMP 10.

It all began when I tried to burn some CDs. WMP told me "No CD or DVD Burner has been detected." I then go to Tools> Options > Devices, and see that the CD/DVD Drive isn't showing up in the list.

I then check out the Devices Manager, and there's a little yellow exclamation point next to the HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4040N. After no success trying to update the driver, uninstall and reinstall, I do a little Googling and find this thread. I run the CDGone thing, and the alert icon disappears. Everything seems fixed.

However, WMP is still telling me there's no burner to be found, and now suddenly, there's no sound when I try to play a CD; the tracks appear to be playing fine, but there's no sound, and all the volume is up and unmuted. I've tried other MP3 files, and the sound is just fine. Prior to all of this, I was able to rip CDs and play them fine, also.

Another thing I found strange is that when I right-clicked on the CD/DVD Drive, with no disc in it, shows that it's completely used up.

Posted Image

When I tried to click on 'Properties' here, my screen froze and the whole comp crashed. Had to manually reboot.

Posted Image

I also found this page, and I started to follow the steps...

Posted Image

...but I stopped because I guess I'm still not exactly clear on Steps 5-8 (What's a 'backup of drives key'? Where do I type a 1 or a 2, where it says 'value not set'? And it says the drive type's a '(3)'...so...I'm confused), and of course, I'm petrified of screwing something up (anymore than I already have).

Sorry if this is all a bit jumbled or if I sound stupider than usual. This is everything I've noticed/run into, I hope it points to something. ^^;

Thanks very much in advance to anybody who gives my problem a gander.

Edit: I just noticed the Device Status on that second screencap. However, if everything's working fine, why would clicking on the Hardware > Properties cause the whole comp to crash? :thumbsup:

Edit #2: On a slightly related note, of the three supposedly-blank Memorex CDs (the gray shiny type, not the white-with-blue-text type, though both are the same capacity) I've inserted into the drive, two of them have shown this:

Posted Image

The first time I clicked on the file, it came up with a Notepad file saying something about a 'GW Scan'. (I didn't screenshot it in time.) I realize I should probably go to Memorex.com, but was just wondering if anyone knew anything about it.

Edit #3: Oh, and the DVD-RW drive shows up in the Devices tab on WMP now. Is there something I should do from there, also?

Posted Image

Edited by Bachiatari, 30 March 2009 - 11:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:11 AM

Check add/remove programs & see if you have anything named Roxio listed.
If you do uninstall it & restart the computer.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Bachiatari

Bachiatari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:22 AM

Only Roxio Photosuite 5, but that's a picture-editing program. Would that still be interfering? o.o;

Edit: Just tried accessing the drive Properties from here.

Posted Image

This time, the comp didn't outright freeze/crash, but it said run32.dll stopped responding, and again I had to manually reboot. What is with this thing being so sensitive about Properties? o.O;

And I tried a different audio CD in WMP. The tracks essentially play and show up fine -- but still no sound at all.

Edit #2: I talked to my Dad about the problem, and he suggested associating the drive with WMP. How would go about I doing that? o.o;

Edit #3: As for Roxio, here's something else I noticed. When I look at the drive properties, it shows some kind of Roxio audio option, but when I actually load a CD, it doesn't. Why would the option be present in one instance and not the other? x.x;

Posted Image

Edit #4: Okay, I finally fixed my sound problem! I just changed the drive playback to Digital. Seems silly, now that I think of it. Anyway, still working on the 'burner' issue...

Edit #5: I finally went back into RegEdit and followed the Steps from Microsoft, and changed the DWORD value from 3 to 2. The Recording tab was unlocked!

Posted Image

...but still, WMP tells me "No CD or DVD Burner detected." Gonna try reinstalling WMP...

Edit #6: Well, I couldn't help myself. I Googled some more and tried running 'services.msc' then stopping and restarting the IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service, and setting it to automatic. Curiously enough, the service seems to keep stopping itself. This may tie into my problem, I think...

And I think this may solely be a software problem now. Could a mod please move this to a more appropriate forum? ^^;

If I'm understanding this right, I need to have a separate burning program installed anyway (the only one I have, ironically, is Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator). But it says my drive is already an 'RW'...I'm confused again. @_@;

Edit #7: Whoa! Nope, still a hardware problem! At least in part...I tried inserting the CD & DVD Creator disc, and the drive made the most godawful loud buzzing noise, whereupon the CD drive vanished again. Luckily, the computer didn't freeze, and I was able to do a decent normal shutdown, after which I took the disc out.

I'm stuck and stumped. =(

Also, I noticed the DWORD value reset itself to 3.

Edit #8: I tried it again, and this time it seemed to work, but right smack in the middle of the installation, the CD drive disappeared, and I had to cancel the installation. The drawer (is that the right name?) does budge a little, do you think it could need tightening? Is it possible it's slipping during intense use and thus vanishing?

Edit #9: So I read that RECDC 5/6 and Windows SP2/3 do not a happy couple make. I'd still really appreciate any theories on the questions still left unanswered, but for now, I've found a great solution in CDBurnerXP. Works like a charm!

Thanks again. ^^; Sorry if I came across too strong or impatient, here. You guys are awesome.

Edited by Bachiatari, 31 March 2009 - 10:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users