Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop started freezing after ram upgrade

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mikemak

mikemak

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:23 PM

I have a compaq 1.6 c751nr thats 1 year old.It came with 1gb.I installed pny 2gb a month ago.Checked hp to be sure correct ram.The laptop will sometimes hang or freeze when I open lid from sleep or restart.I would say 1 maybe twice a day.I have run all windows tools I know of and everything checks fine.All scans for virus/malware are clean and this is the only problem.I have also installed latest upgrades from hp site.I checked event log and one event that shows up at the same time as the hangs is.....error 15016,http event error."unable to initialize the security package kerberos for server side authentication.the data field contains the error #15016.servicing has required reboot to complete operation".Windows says this error can be ignored,not if its causing this.No programs running when this happens,well task manager shows nothing.I get a black screen,no keyboard keys.mouse doesnt work.I have to hold power button to force shutdown.Sometimes I get the "windows didnt shutdown normal"screen,sometime it just restarts fine.I dont remeber this before the memory change.Is it possible the ram checks ok but is still bad in some way or maybe this problem started the same time?I cant try a restore because I deleted my past restore points to free up space.I do have recovery but would rather not use it.Guess one answer would be to put back in the old memory and just wait and see??This is the first and only problem I have had with vista or this laptop.Thanks for any help.mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:38 AM

Most cases of this that I've seen have been associated with a minor corruption in the video drivers and are fixed by removing the current video drivers and then installing the latest version available from the website of the manufacturer of the video chipset (ATI, nVidia, Intel, etc).

If you have difficulty in locating the video driver download, let us know the exact make and model of your system so we can research the driver needed.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 mikemak

mikemak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:23 AM

hi,its a compag c751nr 1.60ghz,vista sp1,2gb ram.Is that what you need to know?i have tried about everthing and I see this is a known issue in the microsoft forums.I tried another fix listed there and waiting to see if it helps.I have not tried to uninstall then reinstall driver as you said but would need more instruction for that.I can get to device,update driver,but it says its up to date?Could I try to uninstall windows update that installed this kerberos update?thanks

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:37 AM

I don't know (but don't think) that the kerberos issue is related to your hibernate/sleep issues.

The black screen on resume is a fairly common problem that's most often solved by replacing the vidoe drivers. A corruption in the driver is possible and it will still state that it's the most recent version.

The first step is to figure out if you've got the 32 bit or the 64 bit version of Vista. If you don't know, press the Windows key and the Pause/Break key at the same time. In the window that opens up you'll see the information listed under the System type.

Next, download the appropriate driver from this link: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Fi...00&lang=eng

Next, go to Start...Control Panel...Programs and Features...Uninstall a program.
Locate the Mobile Intel® 965 Express entry and select Uninstall.

Reboot the system (dismissing any Found New Hardware dialogs that may pop up), then double click on the downloaded driver to install it.

Once it's done, reboot again and then test to see if the problem has gone away.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 mikemak

mikemak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:21 PM

ok,compaq list a driver for chipset and graphics,I assume I need the graphics driver,correct?Its vista 32.i did find where I uninstall.thanks

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:36 PM

Yes, it's a combined chipset and graphics driver (common with these Intel boards).
Let us know how it works out for you.

Good luck! :huh:

Edited by usasma, 31 March 2009 - 12:36 PM.

#7 mikemak

mikemak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

hi,sorry but do you mean combined as in 1 download?because they are seperate.I tried the graphics driver for the intel 965 download before but it just said I had a later version already on the laptop,but I had not yet uninstalled the old one as you told me to do.So to be clear I should remove the 965 intel driver in programs,then download and install the graphics driver for the 965 only or both the chipset and graphics drivers?Also as I said before I found a maybe fix on the microsoft board that involved going to internet options and unchecking "automatically detect intranet network" and checking all 3 of the other boxes.I have no idea what this does but I havnt had a lock up yet.I didnt mention before that it has done this when I first power on also.On your direction I will do the correct download if I have a lock up in the next 24hrs so I know if what I have done(intranet fix) cures anything.Thanks for your time and I will post back my results.

#8 mikemak

mikemak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:27 AM

just wanted to update post that the fix above "disable intranet network" may have solved this problem.I havent had a lock up in 2 days now.thanks

#9 mikemak

mikemak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:58 AM

3 days,no hang.turned on laptop this morning and its back.http event.I dont think this has anything to do with a driver but will try just to be sure.

#10 craz

craz

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:55 AM

I too keep getting severe slow downs. It is as if the puter is looking for something/doing something that is not showing up in the processess. I went to check my disable intranet network, but did not see it. Which screen is that in?

Thanx

#11 mikemak

mikemak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:57 PM

you can find it in internet options.This will not fix your problem I dont think

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users