Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Belkin Wireless-N USB adapter, faulty or just bad drivers?


  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ultymoo

Ultymoo

  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:17 PM

Well, last year I bought a Wireless-N (Belkin F5D8053 v1000) USB adapter and N router (Belkin F5D8233-4). I usually leave the adapter plugged into a USB port on my laptop, but it ended up slipping off my lap and bending the adapter enough to open the case. None of the connections appeared broken, only loose, but since then, it cut out intermittently. So, this weekend I bought a newer version of said adapter, the newest in fact, at a v5000. It worked fine in the hotel I was staying at, but that was with a connection to a Wireless-G network. I got home to my equipment, and popped it in. Where I was getting speeds of 270 Mbps before, I now get 7-29 Mbps. I tried borrowing my dad's as he'd gotten exactly the same model, and it did the same thing. I tried messing with all kinds of settings, such as changing my encryption type to WPA2-PSK. That boosted it to 60 Mbps, still nowhere near whay I want, and my sister couldn't get on the network with those settings. I defaulted my router, still nothing.

The other problem that I had with those speeds is that I was trying to download a large file. The file would seem to come over at top speed as before, at around 700-800 KB/s, but as I was downloading it the connection would cut out, every time.

So, I tried to look up new drivers for it to see if that might help. Lo and behold, Belkin doesn't have any drivers for the 5000 series adapter yet. I decided to Google it and see what everyone else had to say. There's very little to be found about this particular adapter anywhere, though I did manage to find some reviews about it being crappy and needing some new drivers. However, anyone online can say anything, so I figured I'd come to where I've gotten help before.

Anyone have any experience or reviews about this thing? I'd like to know if it's fixable, something I need to wait for a driver release for, or if it's just plain faulty. If it's faulty, anyone have a cheap, working alternate card?

EDIT: This is on WinXP SP2, BTW. All Automatic Updates other than SP3 have been applied.

EDIT 2: More information for y'all, it seems the adapter can do only a certain type of traffic. I left a torrenting program on last night to send out some home movies to a friend (We find it easier for big files, just drop and leave it). This morning, they were still seeding just fine at about 30 KB/s max. However, as soon as I started browsing as well as letting that run, the connection cut out. I repaired it, shut down the torrent, and started browsing with no problems for a good hour. Tried turning the torrents back on, boom. Loss of any speed. Also, the connection itself doesn't drop out, just stops transmitting data.

Edited by Ultymoo, 31 March 2009 - 08:33 AM.


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

    Network Engineer


  • BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:38 PM

Just to start, any reason you haven't updated to SP3? What kind of speeds do you get when you use a direct cable to your router?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +


#3 Ultymoo

Ultymoo
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:30 PM

Mainly because I believe SP3 is the devil, but I may have to give it a try, eventually.

As for speeds, it's a solid 100 Mbps when directly connected to the router. However, I'm starting to question if it's really my equipment or rather my USB ports failing.

#4 danr

danr

  • Members
  • 24 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:28 AM

How is the router set? if you have it "defaulted" it may be running in a mixed environment IE; wireless "B", "G" and "N", or "G" and "N".

When running a "mixed" environment the routers I've had or have read the manual for (I have not looked at the manual for yours), they default to "G" speed.

Access the routers settings via your web browser and make sure its set to "N only" wireless, then see if your speed jumps back up to or near where "N" should be.

#5 Ultymoo

Ultymoo
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:12 PM

It's mixed, because mixed wireless cards are using it. If that's the speed issue, I'm not worried then. However, if it were set to mixed mode and defaulted to G, I shouldn't get more than 54 Mbps.

Anywhoo, I think I figured the problem out. I kept having I/O errors going on because apparently my USB controller was overloaded, so I got rid of the USB hub and now things are fine. Le sigh, I hate having to worry about disk storage.

Thanks for the info though, it's something to think about. If I get bored I'll check it out sometime.

Edited by Ultymoo, 20 April 2009 - 10:12 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users